SINGLE LADIES IN LONDON WILL SURVIVE!


by Katherine Bing

As long as I know how to love, I know I’ll stay alive.

This is my first post on Pop Culture Divas and so I am going to tell you a little about my novel Singleholic, which has just been published. It is multicultural chick-lit. Sarah is mixed-race and she goes out with black men, white men, brown men.

Who is better to marry?
Who is better in bed?
And most importantly, who has the biggest packet?


Everyone has an idea of the answers, but no one dares say. Well, Sarah says it out loud and proud. You can see a couple of videos I made on the topic at http://www.singleholic.com/.

The multicultural dating world is a complex and interesting one. I feel like I’ve been out with every man on the planet! And that’s why I wrote the book. It also strikes me that women of colour are not really represented in chick-lit. We’ve kind of been forgotten. Make way for the black Bridget Jones: Singleholic Sarah.

The London dating scene is less aggressive than New York’s. And people tend to get married earlier. So Sex & the City does make some of us in London widen our eyes. But I’m guessing there aren’t that many Samanthas even in New York! Singleholic Sarah is nothing like Samantha. Sarah is a little scared of men, while Samantha has them for breakfast!

I also hate the way single women are always pitied. There is nothing wrong with us! Common thought says that single men should be admired, but single women have been left on the shelf. But London’s dating world is so much fun! Maybe some of us just enjoy being part of it all… and don’t want to give it up.

The other night I went on a Match.com date and the man gave me a cactus as a present. I mean, who would want to give that up?? It had me in stitches for weeks… Being single means never having to compromise. And that ain’t no bad thing.

You think I’d crumble? You think I’d lay down and die? I’ve got all my life to live and I’ve got all my love to give and I will survive.

Damn right we’ll survive. We’ll do more than survive. Single gals ROCK! Feel sorry for us? No thank you!

Just walk out the door.


Because that’s where I’m going. I’m late for a date!

Check out the first few chapters of my book and the promo videos at http://www.singleholic.com/.

Katherine Bing x

Comments

  1. Welcome Katherine! "The other night I went on a Match.com date and the man gave me a cactus as a present. I mean, who would want to give that up?? " LOL! what a fun article and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us about the modern London dating scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cactus too! Hilarious! Looking forward to more chuckles...

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, lovely intro, Katherine!

    It's true that the London dating scene is fascinating yet not as shark-infested as New York. I too didn't really find myself in Sex and The City. London has its own, let's say, charm.

    Too true about mixed-race not being represented in chick-lit. I'll add my own peeve - the second/third generation Indians. We also navigate between banks and shores.

    And lol, yeah, single gals rock! Never understood why we as women needed to be pitied, the whole 'old maid' dilemma. I jumped board a while ago, true, but boy, do I know what you mean!

    Oops, forgot - welcome to popculturedivas!

    Hugs

    Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Katherine!

    Your book sounds great. I look forward to reading it.

    I love chick lit as well, and as a writer of color, I've written those kind of chick lit heroines. You're right--there aren't many in the marketplace, but our dating experiences are just as crazy...er, exciting!

    I look forward to reading your future posts!

    Kayla
    www.kaylaperrin.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Katherine!

    Your book sounds great. I look forward to reading it.

    I love chick lit as well, and as a writer of color, I've written those kind of chick lit heroines. You're right--there aren't many in the marketplace, but our dating experiences are just as crazy...er, exciting!

    I look forward to reading your future posts!

    Kayla
    www.kaylaperrin.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your first post at Popculturedivas, Katherine. And I really enjoyed your book excerpt:

    'Georgina is every guy's dream. She also has a stunning mews house in Knightsbridge, while I have a flat in Brixton. But I like my flat, and I like Brixton. Georgina thinks I'm crazy to live in Brixton. But I like the mad people shouting about the end of the world by the tube. Good to know some people are more whacko than me.'

    LOL!! I feel the very same way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the modern london dating scene! Looking forward to read your book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts