Slumdog Millionaire

by CJ

I'm sure I'm the last person in the country to see this fantastic film--if not, go now and rent it! Or read about it here. Go on, I'll wait....

I really enjoyed this movie and applaud the Academy for giving it the Oscar for Best Picture. It's the rebel in me. I love it when a quirky, not-so-big-budget film comes out of nowhere and shakes the big boys out of their shoes!

More than that, I enjoyed the way Slumdog represented plain, old fashioned, basic good storytelling.

We have the classic underdog hero, who even as a child reveals his courage and determination. There's his nemesis--his brother--who stands in opposition to every goal the hero has since childhood. While still protecting and loving him, which is a fun layer to add to the classic badguy motif.

And then, of course, there's the girl. The one who stands between them, representing everything good that the hero wants and dreams of as well as everything evil that the nemesis and the real world see as "just the way things are."

That's the heart of the movie, the theme, if you will. That just because this (whatever your "this" is) is the way things are that doesn't mean that one man can't change the world.

This was especially powerful to me, because this same theme is what runs through all of my books (and many, many other authors' as well!), that Heroes are Born Everyday.

That everyday people can change the world. And what gives us the power to change it?

Pretty easy to see--and beautifully portrayed in Slumdog. It's love, of course.

Or rather, not just love, but Love.

Which is probably the strongest force of all. At least in the fictional universes we create in our popular entertainment. Almost cliche.

Which is why Slumdog works. It takes the cliche and gives it fresh, new meaning. It makes us believe that this really COULD happen, we WANT it to happen, as an audience, we hold our breathe and DEMAND that it happen....that Love does conquer all.

Why do we need this? Us in our jaded, cynical society? Why should we care about a poor orphan half a world away hooking up with his dream girl?

Because if he can do it, then maybe, just maybe, so can we.....

Hmmm....what's your take on Slumdog? Does Love really conquer all--or should all us idealists get a firmer grip on reality when we craft our fictional worlds?

Personally, I can't help it--I'm embarking on two new projects, each wildly different than the other. Except, you got it, they're both about Everyday Heroes Changing the World....

Thanks for reading!
CJ

Images courtesy of Fox Searchlight

About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons has lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels. Her debut, LIFELINES (Berkley, March 2008), became a National Bestseller and Publishers Weekly proclaimed it a "breathtakingly fast-paced medical thriller." The second in the series, WARNING SIGNS, was released January, 2009. Contact her at http://www.cjlyons.net

Comments

  1. I grew up on Disney and the complete Oz series, so my perspective might be skewed. *grin*

    Truly though, I believe in magic. I believe dreams can come true. I believe love can sweep us away.

    The reason books like Harry Potter appeal is because deep down, we all sense the magic inherent in life. The magic that creates an oak tree out of an acorn. The magic that draws two souls together despite the odds. The magic of one hero changing the world. *smile*

    Here's to idealism!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post CJ! I Love your take. And very true - we have to believe it - we have to believe that everyone has the capacity to love and be loved and that the force of our love compels us to do good things. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chiron, I so totally agree! And afterall, without us idealists, what new things would ever be created? The world would be the same old-same ole, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna,
    Yep, it's like clapping for Tinkerbelle, you just gotta believe, lol!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I loved this movie too! Bawled through most of it, but loved it. Every time I think "because it is written" I get chills. Like just now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, CJ, you're not the last - I think I am! Although I did see the actors on the Today Show, and read a few followup articles. Unfortunately, it seems their conditions didn't improve much after the movie, so it made me wonder whether having a taste of success helped or harmed them. Time will tell, I guess.
    The movie's definitely on my to-see list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, you're not the last person to see 'Slumdog' - because I haven't even seen it yet. My husband even had it home on DVD and I just didn't get to it. But I know I'll love it, especially as it's a Danny Boyle film, and I love his work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen Slumdog (I know, it's a sin, I mean to, I do!) but I do try to remain an optimist at heart and practice. I love happy endings, faith, and the idea that there is beautiful magic in the world. That being said, I love dark and murky stories where sometimes that light is really hard to see, but because it's all the more beautiful when it triumphs.

    By the way, I LOVE that picture of you, CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CJ

    Great summarising of the movie, bet you're a synopsis diva, lol!

    What appealed to me as of course, Love, but the thing that 'hit home' was that it all seemed so real. As in, this could really happen, if only we close our eyes tight enough and wish and will with all our heart and soul. Uhm, does that even make sense?

    And no, you're not the last to see it. I finally sat down last week with my dad to watch this!

    Hugs, and best of luck with those 2 everyday heroes projects!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts