Giving Up The Ghost

Haunted House 6 ghosts Pictures, Images and Photos

by Chiron O'Keefe

I had a sneaking suspicion October was close when I switched off the air conditioner and nudged up the heater. Sure enough, yesterday rain danced in while a chilly wind puffed autumn leaves into the air. Brrr…. When I cracked open my door, the crisp scent of Fall reminded me of one of my October traditions. Ghost Stories!

First… Cue up The Movie.
Second… Turn down the lights.
Third… Pour a steaming mug of cocoa or perhaps a deliciously dark glass of cabernet.
Fourth… Grab a fuzzy blanket to cuddle under.
Finally… Snatch up the remote with a trembling hand and hit play.

Let the screaming begin!

Now, let me own up to My Big Embarrassing Confession. I am a true 'horror-movie' wimp. That's right. I've never seen Halloween (numbers 1-67) or Friday the Umpteenth. After the terrifying night that I viewed The Night of The Living Dead at Age Ten, I swore off all zombie films (well-except of course for Shaun of The Dead, but who could resist that?). However, one genre I still adore is The Ghost Story.

Still, I'm old-fashioned. I prefer psychological inference to buckets of blood. Barring that, spine-tingling laughs tickle my fancy, that is, provided no limbs are ripped off in the process.

My love for ghosts began as a toddler, with a sweet cartoon starring the unforgettable casper Pictures, Images and Photos
Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I so adored this amiable, floating blob of ectoplasm that when asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was instant: "I want to be a ghost!" A friendly one, I'm assuming.

Most of my earliest movies were caught years after the release on our little black & white television (which may explain my fondness for classic movies too!). My grandpa though loved the drive-in theater, so when lucky enough to fly cross-country for a visit, I basked in the original Big Screen from the comfort of his car. That's where I caught a silly movie called, The Spirit is Willing.



Directed by William Castle, who scored hits with star Vincent Price in both The Tingler and The House on Haunted Hill, the 1968 flick was a strange mix of comedy horror. A couple and their teenage son rent a seaside house in New England which turns out to be haunted by three ghosts. Silly but fun, the movie fueled my already over-active imagination.

Back home, (and back to squinting at the tiny screen on the black & white television), I caught a hilariously goofy movie I still adore today: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.




Released in 1966, this delightful film stars Don Knotts as Luther Heggs, aspiring reporter for his local newspaper. Unfortunately his temperament is more suited to type-setting than reporting but hope springs eternal. When the twenty-year anniversary for the famous murder-suicide at the old Simmons mansion rolls around, Luther is maneuvered into agreeing to spend the night in the spooky old house. What a hoot! Naturally, Luther's shaking, quaking self is subjected to chilling screams, a trap-door, and the ominous rendition of organ music, the keys stained with blood from the murderer now played by a ghostly hand. All of the events leading to Luther discovering the lovely portrait of the original victim, now with blood trails from the garden shears stabbed in her throat!

Yikes!

Of course, there's mystery and mayhem, giggles and guffaws from the wacky 'paranormal' society ladies who Absolutely Believe and the skeptical reporter (the handsome rival for the affections of the heroine that Luther pines for) who dismisses the whole thing. Naturally, there's more than meets the eye and nothing is as it seems. This light-hearted movie is a true Halloween treat for families.

Another tame yet engaging ghost story is The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Adapted for television in 1968, the original 1947 movie is wonderful. Starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison, the movie is set in 1900 when a young widow moves into a haunted cottage by the sea. Instead of fearing, she welcomes the ghost and forms a unique bond with the deceased Captain Gregg.

Mixing light suspense, romance, drama and fantasy, the flick also touches on women's roles in society. When the heroine, for example, authors a seafaring book and offers it to a publisher, it's assumed to be fluff. Women's literature is not highly regarded at the time. When the book appeals, it's then thought the true author is most likely her husband. The story is much deeper than the premise first suggests. It's been many years since I've enjoyed this flick and now I'm thinking it's time to add it to my queue.

Hopefully the appetizers have helped work up an appetite for a truly satisfying ghost story. For now I present the main dish with not one but two tasty entrees.

We'll start with the lighter dish and finish with a dash of terror. First, The Uninvited. The Uninvited Pictures, Images and Photos Produced in 1944, this movie is a classic ghost story. Just enough chills to make you wonder and an intriguing story to keep you entertained. The plot goes like this.

A brother, Ray Milland, and sister, Ruth Hussey, stumble upon an abandoned seaside house on the English coast. The sister is immediately enchanted by the mansion, though strangely enough, her little dog, Bobby, is terrified of the upstairs and flees in short order. They decide to buy the gothic house and within short order Strange Happenings Occur.

The story weaves romance and some comedy but the main focus is the ghost which at times seems benevolent and even loving, and other times truly menacing. There's a séance, a terrible secret, and the potential of driving the daughter (whose mother apparently died in the house) to a suicidal plunge over the requisite high and dangerous cliff.

Spectacular!

This one gives enough of a chill to warrant a satisfying shiver so turn down the lights and prepare to wonder what indeed goes bump in the night.

For me the all-time best ghost story is still The Haunting. My fondness for spell-binding movies that keep you guessing is revealed with more recent favorites like The Sixth Sense and
The Others.

Haunting Pictures, Images and Photos The original movie, The Haunting, proves definitively that gratuitous violence isn't a necessary ingredient for a truly scary experience. Based on the book The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, the 1963 movie stars the amazing Claire Bloom and Julie Harris as participants in a study of an haunted house.

Dr. John Marway is conducting research to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts. Hill House, with its lurid history of violence, insanity and gruesome death, is the perfect laboratory for his experiment. He sends out invitations to a small group, of which only two respond, a clairvoyant named Theodore (Julie Harris), and a sad, insecure spinster, Eleanor, (Claire Bloom) who seizes the opportunity to escape her boring and oppressive existence at her married sister's home. Being the unmarried daughter, Eleanor was forced to be the caretaker of their elderly, invalid mother whose death haunts her conscience.

An elderly woman also died at Hill House, while her young nurse frolicked with a male companion. Eleanor's empathic and psychic potential is magnified by her identification with the guilt and fear surrounding the old lady's death.

This movie is truly a nail-biter. Hailed as one of the true classic ghost stories, even those who don't blink at the 'buckets of blood' movies swear they jumped out of their seats at least once. Claire Bloom embodies the anguished soul of Eleanor so completely, the scene where she comforts Theo (I won't reveal the twist) will most certainly freak you out.

It Begins: Dr. John Markway: [voice-over] An evil old house, the kind some people call haunted, is like an undiscovered country waiting to be explored. Hill House had stood for 90 years and might stand for 90 more. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there... walked alone.

Now, tell me, as we creep up to All Hallows' Eve, are there any ghost stories that haunt your nights? Do share!

--Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: Weekly motivation for writers!

Comments

  1. Great head's-up on several spooky films I haven't seen, Chiron. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir sounds really good.

    I saw The Ghost and Mr. Chicken when I was a kid - Don Knotts definitely cracked me up. There was another film of his that I killed myself laughing over in the late 60's - The Reluctant Astronaut. The scene where he tries to eat peanut butter in space just slayed me.

    One of my favorite spooky films is Lady in White, with Lukas Haas and Len Cariou. Forever after, when I hear Bing Crosby's Did You Ever See a Dream Walkin' I get the shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Chiron! I'm with you - I will take a ghost story over blood and gore any day! One of my fave spooky films is "The Innocents" starring Deborah Kerr - who plays a Governess to a little boy and girl in a big old mansion in England (already it's spooky). She becomes convinced that the house is haunted and the children are possessed. She's right! I also love anything by Hitchcock - who was a spook master. Psycho still has the power to scare me. The first time I saw it - I had to leave the shower curtain open for a week! Vertigo is another favourite. I also love all the Vincent Price movies and the Hammer films which were more cheesy than scary but so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE horror movies! My favorite night of the year is Halloween, when I send my husband out to trick-or-treat with the kids, so I can stay home and watch Chuckie! My favorite scary movies are also funny (like the Chuckie movies!). Shaun of the Dead is absolutely the best...one of my favorites. How great is Simon Pegg? I cannot wait to see Zombieland...it looks fantastic! (I grew up not too far away from the Monroeville Mall outside of Pittsburgh, PA where the original Night of the Living Dead was filmed!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is one of my all time romantic faves.

    Horror movies -- definitely The Haunting of Hill House, which I watched during a howling blizzard night with my sweetie early in our marriage. I'd read the book, so the characters didn't quite match my vision, but it was still really scary.

    Also, Psycho, which seems a little slow when you watch it these days, but whenever my sweetie's away, if the dog barks while I'm taking a late night shower after writing, I'm terrified all over again.

    And Carrie, which I suggested to my kidlet granddaughter for her horror movie night sleepover last month. She reported back that a screaming good time was had by all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love old horror and suspense movies. Something about the black and white and intensity of the actors. I know this is a classic (and not really horror)but Rebecca is a personal favorite. For new horror movies, I'd have to go with Queen of the Damned as a personal pic, but I tend to like the humorous ones the best.

    Ghostbusters and Tremors (first versions only) are movies I must watch every October, along with the Disney version of Sleepy Hollow (on Halloween night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever seen High Spirits? It's a ghostly comedy (so not scary really) and one of my faves. And when you're talking ghost movies, how could you forget Topper & Topper Returns (& whatever the 3rd one was)? *shakes head sadly*

    I'm a horror movie wimp, too. I saw Halloween (#1), had nightmares for a week and couldn't go into an unlighted room for a month. Did I mention that I lived in the country & my mom sometimes worked nights?

    There are two tv episodes though, that are nearly bloodless & creeped me out immensely. One was a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode Hush & the other was a Dr Who episode, Blink. My BF held my hand (since he'd already seen them) so I wouldn't grab his leg & possibly draw blood when I got frightened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention one I first saw during an all night Halloween movie marathon at a theater in the 8th grade. The 1931 Frankenstein with Boris Karloff. Loved the "Shock Women into uncontrollable hysteria!" line. Karloff created an unforgettable monster that was both terrifying and sympathetic. Here's a link to the trailer: http://tinyurl.com/y9m5uq3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you, Chiron, horror creeps me out, and I avoid it like the plague.

    That being said, I do enjoy the "ghost lite" like The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

    Oh. I loved, loved The Others with Nicole Kidman. 2001

    Great post. I really enjoy Pop Culture Divas.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. My all time fave spooky show was Dark Shadows. I loved the old version, the 90s rehash and am looking forward to Tim Burton's take.

    Right now, I'm loving the hell out True Blood.

    If you love a sexy ghost who will keep you up all night, check out my Phantom Lovers series at Ellora's Cave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JoAnn - I love those old Frankenstein and Dracula movies too! Oh and Morgan mentioned Rebecca - forgot about that one - spooky! I also have to add one more - Gaslight starring Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer - technically it's a mystery/thriller -but it's chilling and correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the term "gaslighting" (to drive someone over the edge) originate from the play's title - the movie was based on the play of the same name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julia!

    Wasn't The Ghost and Mr. Chicken a hoot? Love it. I remember The Reluctant Astronaut too! *laughs*

    Okay, I've jotted down Lady in White. Sounds spooky!! Thanks!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jo!

    Funny you should mention The Innocents. During my research for this article, I stumbled upon the description for that flick and immediately added it to my queue! Looks fanstastic, like the perfect Halloween movie. Can't wait!!

    I adored Vincent Price as a kid. Back in my Hollywood days, I picked up extra cash by being the Sample Lady at some swanky Beverly Hills grocery stores. One day, while handing out free rolls of Certs, who should amble past but Vincent! I offered him a free sample and he smiled, accepted it, popped one in his mouth and said, "My dear, you know me so well!"

    *laughs* Not sure what it meant but it really made me smile. He's a charming man.

    Hitchcock! My grandmother used to let me stay up late and watch his show too, remember that? I recently watched Rope. Did you ever see that? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/ Really quite ingenious.

    Of course, now that I'm thinking of Hitchcock, my mind can't help but jump to High Anxiety! *heh-heh*

    Thanks for the recommendation, I really can't wait to see that film!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Penny!

    How fun to have your very own Fright Fest! And yes, Simon Pegg is amazing!

    So, are you're planning on seeing Zombieland in the theater? Too cool! Hope you have a terrifyingly good time. *grin*

    Thanks for stopping by!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello JoAnn!

    The Ghost and Mrs. Muir is so good. It's been too many years and now I really want to see it!

    So, you read Shirley's book before seeing the film? I do know how it is when the characters don't quite match up. It really is a spooky movie though, isn't it? *shiver*

    You suggested Carrie?!? OMG! Did the kids sleep at all? *laughs*

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there Morgan!

    Classic black & white flicks are a fave for me too. As you said, it does seem to add a haunting intensity. I'm not sure I've see Rebecca yet! I'll have to check it out. And Sleepy Hollow? I'll have to add that to the list too!

    Ghostbuster is one of my Top Movies! Classic lines, cool special effects and some of the best comedic talent around. *snort* Love Harold Ramis!!

    Thanks for stopping by and adding to my list!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great lists, ladies! Another old movie I loved that wasn't quite spooky but more sentimental was The Canterbury Ghost, where the little girl helps the ghost finally lay to rest.
    I so want to go back to Gettysburg this year for a ghost tour! Now I'm definitely in a spooky mood - thanks Chiron, for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sewicked!

    I vaguely remember High Spirits! Wow, it's been a long time. I definitely want to rewatch that one!

    You're right, of course, one cannot properly discuss Ghosts without including Topper and Topper Returns! I love both movies. Huge Topper fan (and doesn't Cary make the most dashing and fun ghost ever?). *grin* Not even remotely spooky but SO Hilarious!! Hah!

    Oh, WOW, living out in the country and alone at night? My goodness but I'd be bolting my doors with all outdoor lights blazing. Yup. I definitely cannot do truly scary movies. No nightmares, please!! *grin*

    I remember that Buffy episode, it really was chilling. *shiver*

    Thanks for visiting AND for reminding me about High Spirits! Great film!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey JoAnn!

    You're right, the Karloff Frankenstein was brilliant. Such a classic. As you said, the 'monster' was both terrifying and sympathetic. Of course, now I'm thinking of The Wolfman too, with another sympathetic monster.

    Thanks for reminding me! It's been too long since I've seen The Monster.

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there Elengreywriter!

    Wasn't The Others amazing? Such an incredible flick. That one really blew me away. Suspensful, intriguing and just brilliant!

    The movie Joanna recommended, The Innocents, is supposed to be the first adaption of the Henry James novel, The Turn of The Screw. I think The Others has a similar theme with a different resolution.

    Hmmm, now I'm trying to decide if I should read the book or see Jo's recommendation, The Innocents first? Decisions, decisions!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and adding a comment. I really appreciate it! *smile*

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Debra!

    Dark Shadows was amazing, very ahead of its time, actually. Yes, I can't wait for Tim Burton's take either!!

    True Blood really has picked up the scary torch quite nicely. Lovers of vampires can't get enough!

    Thanks for jumping in, Debra!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Joanna!

    Hmmm... Gaslight is one I've missed. Sounds delicious! I've never heard of the term 'gaslighting' but it would make sense if it stemmed from this. Wow...

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Cate!

    Wow, a Gettysburg Ghost Tour? How cool would that be! Hope you get to go!

    I remember that movie but I think it's maybe The Canterville Ghost? It was such a fun flick. Sweet, charming and pretty funny, if I remember correctly. A very young Robert Young was the soldier and distant relative, I think. Hmmm... Now I want to rent that one too!!

    Thanks for jumping in, Cate!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your post, Chiron.

    I'm not into scary movies; there's plenty of stuff in real life that can frighten me. Still, some of the titles you and your commentators listed sound interesting. I'll have to check them out this month on TV. The movie channels will be full of horror shows.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chiron - you'll be spooked by The Innocents! And you met Vincent Price in a grocery store how amazing is that! "My dear you know me so well" Love that line! And yes I've seen Rope - such a cool film because there are no edits the camera just moves back and forth. ;D Happy Hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm also terribly squeamish so I tend to stay away from really awful blood and gore horror movies. The 1994 version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein starring Kenneth Branagh as Dr Frankenstein and Robert de Niro as the Monster was outstanding. And, on a lighter night, The Rocky Horrow Picture Show with Tim Curry as Dr Frank N Furter is a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry. I'm a zombie today from lack of sleep (couldn't resist that!) Typos galore in previous post! Should be : "And, on a lighter NOTE, The Rocky HORROR..."

    ReplyDelete
  27. What about Young Frankenstein, comedy with a hint of horror (Frau Bluher *whiiinnny*)?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Sewicked, I absolutely love Young Frankenstein! That line (and the whinny) kills me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Mary Anne!

    I'm with you there. I prefer entertainment to being terrified. *grin* Hope some of the lighter-hearted movies will be prefect!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by.

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Jo!

    Yes, can you believe it? Vincent Price. What a trip. I'll never forget that. I saw so many of his movies as a kid!

    Yup, Rope is a masterpiece. Just incredible.

    I found Gaslight on TCM so I'll be recording that one to watch too. Sounds like the makings of a perfect Halloween!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Ann!

    I'm squeamish too. I'll cover my eyes even when watching medical shows these days. Thank you but NO I don't need to see you cut into that man's brain! Jeez-Louise! *shudder*

    The Rocky Horror Picture Show is soooo good. The music is amazing, the plot surreal and the whole movie is a just a rollicking good time.

    I rarely say "Damn it," without muttering under my breath, "Janet... I love you." *chortle!*

    Thanks for visiting, my dear!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sewicked!

    Young Frankenstein is THE BEST! So many good lines:

    "Could be worse, could be raining."

    "What Big Knockers!" "Thank-you, Professor."

    And of course, the whinny. I still ask my husband, "Can I get you something while I'm up. Maybe some... Ovaltine?"

    HAH!

    Now all together: "Is it true what they say about monsters?" *snort*

    Thanks for yet another chuckle!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  33. My mother and aunts used to tell ghost stories at family reunions. Must be where I got my love for spooky stuff. My favorites were Poe and Hitchcock tales. I remember when Amityville Horror came out and my mom wouldn't let me go see it.

    Some of my favorite horror movies were The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street, Sixth Sense, Poltergeist. In my house, my husband and I still make jokes about "Run to the light!" whenever things are going wonky.

    I LOVE ghost stories and I'll look for your suggestions, Chiron. Thanks for a delightfully spooky blog!

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! I loved the Ghost & Mrs Muir!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Chiron! Oh my gosh, I haven't thought about The Ghost and Mrs. Muir in AGES! I never saw the original movie, but I remember seeing the television show when I was really little. I guess I loved romance stories even way back then! :) Thanks for that memory -- that just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Misty!

    I did love Poltergeist AND The Sixth Sense, though I admit I've always been too much of a wuss to watch The Shining or the Nightmare series. Yikes!!

    Poe and Hitchcock though are incredible. I loved the Poe stories and both my mom and grandmother were into the Hitchcock monthly magazine, so I read waaaaay too many chilling tales as a kid. My grandmother also let me stay up and watch the Hitchcock Hour with her! *laughs* Probably not concerned about nightmares.

    Thanks so much for visiting, Misty!!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello Kelly!

    Wasn't The Ghost and Mrs. Muir incredible? I put it in my queue to watch this month. Yay!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Laurie!

    I loved, loved, loved the television show! That was my first introduction. What a hoot! The crusty captain. *laughs* I just loved it. We need more shows like that these days!!

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  39. Not me. Not me. I'm a scaredy cat. Grin.

    Seriously, I don't watch scary shows.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Sandy!

    I'm not much into scary shows too. That's why the Ghost and Mr. Chicken remains one of my favorite movies. :-D

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts