Guys Who Sing Make me Swoon

by Cate Masters

I can’t help it. I fell in love with Paul McCartney when I was six, and ever since, a cute guy who could sing made me swoon. When the Beatles made movies incorporating their music, it was double trouble. Now, finding guys who sing onscreen is an unexpected bonus.

For instance, Hugh Jackman singing karaoke in Paperback Hearts. The man’s talents are apparently endless. He has a much better voice, but this scene is sweet.



Here’s two in one – Galway Girl by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Gerard Butler in PS I Love You. Embedding was disabled, sorry, but it's worth watching.

When Ewan McGregor sings Your Song in Moulin Rouge, you’d have to not be breathing not to swoon. But oh, to be Cameron Diaz, swept along in his arms (sigh) as they sing Somewhere Beyond the Sea in A Life Less Ordinary.



Heath Ledger’s serenade over the PA system in 10 Things I Hate About You is endearing.



Though this isn’t a movie scene, Richard Gere surprised me with No Woman No Cry – he even plays the guitar!



Jamie Foxx was nothing short of incredible as Ray Charles.



Joaquin Phoenix was pretty impressive as Johnny Cash.



Antonio Banderas can make any song sound sexy.



Robert Pattinson actually plays the piano in Twilight. According to the DVD extras, he sings in the background during the restaurant scene.



Somewhere there’s a video of Johnny Depp singing in Sweeney Todd, but I was unable to find it. I’d like to see him sing as Jack Sparrow, made up as Keith Richards. :)

Bing Crosby was one of my favs as a kid, and the Road movies with Bob Hope still make me laugh. The talking camel in The Road to Morocco was an advanced special effect for the day!



Even Kermit gets to me when he sings Rainbow Connection. Makes me wish I were a swine in pearls. :) You don’t even need to kiss him to see he’s a prince underneath all that green.



How about you? Have any actors surprised you with their singing talents?

Cate Masters writes fantasy/dark fantasy, historical, contemporary and speculative fiction, described by reviewers as “so compelling, I did not want to put it down,” “such romantic tales that really touch your soul,” “filled with action scenes which made it a riveting story,” and “the author weaves a great tale with a creative way of using words that makes the story refreshing to read.” Visit Cate online at www.catemasters.com, www.catemasters.blogspot.com or follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

Comments

  1. Yes, yes, yes! Part of the reason I love GLEE so much. To me it shows a kind of vulnerability when a man sings. LOVE it. Bought Paperback Hero for that scene alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cate, we are definitely Swoony Soul Sistahs. Gerard, Hugh, Ewan, Antonio, Heath...all of those onscreen moments are already on my sigh list.

    And when they can dance, I'm slain. This is where Hugh has risen to the pinnacle of that list, because he's Wolverine on top of that! I'm waiting for him to be in a major sword-wielding role. Then I will have reached nirvana.

    Actually, Antonio is a beautiful dancer and has already swung a sword in Zorro, so what am I talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo... I think we have the same taste! Definitely Swoony Soul Sister Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post Cate! I second the Glee comment - and who said a musical couldn't cut it on TV? ;) Jack Black in High Fidelity and School of Rock. ;) Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, Cate!! I too swoon over men who can sing. :-D You would love watching "Duets" with Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow! So sweet!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_HaoZ73wWg

    And now that I think about it, this may be why "Holiday Inn" is still one of my top three Christmas movies. Dancing Fred Astaire, singing Bing Crosby, and a silly and fun plot! *heh-heh* And just like you, I loved the 'road' movies.

    So now, back to some great clips. Thanks for a fun read!!

    --Chiron

    PS... Glee is picked up for a third season! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing somehow does expose a guy's heart on his sleeve, so to speak, MJ! Pumps up the sigh factor. :)

    Yep, Julia, Antonio's a wonderful dancer. Didn't he tango in Zorro? And Richard Gere's not half bad, either. Come to think of it, I think Bing and Bob are pretty light on their feet too (or were). Swooning away with you, Julia and Kathy!

    Oh yes, Jack Black. I loved the scene in The Holiday when he ad libbed a song with Kate Winslet at the keyboards. A guy who can sing, play an instrument, and is funny is a great package too. An accent doesn't hurt. :)

    Chiron, I thought of you when I had this idea. :) So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts