Arguing with the Trending Subconscious…

His steps as eager as hers, they dashed to the elevator. The instant the sliding doors closed, he pulled her to him. His long-fingered hands cupped her ass through her skirt and his mouth devoured hers again. She stroked the taut, lean muscle of his back. She couldn't think. His mouth left hers to kiss and lick a path to her throat, and she groaned aloud with need. He nipped at her neck and the quick pain made her gasp. Desire flooded her senses.  (Excerpt from Lilly Cain's new print release Dark Harmony)  Check out more about Lilly's new release at: LRN

Were' getting a little hot and bothered here today because our guest blogger is erotic romance author Lilly Cain.  Lilly writes with Red Sage Publishing and the new Carina Press 

Take it away Lilly!


Thanks Joanna!


We’ve all seen this headline in the news and in viral Twitter posts: The iPad – will it save publishing as we know it? My take: nope. Will it make my sales soar through the roof? I’d love to think so, but I’m not counting on it. But wait, you say, isn’t the world changing around us?  My answer – yes and no. We’ve seen this discussion again and again in various places over the last couple of years but it was finally driven home to me on a very personal level. Yes, some formats are changing, but the old formats are not disappearing as predicted, and probably never will. Some of us will read our books with an electronic device. Some will stick with paper copies. And in that, as an author, I am lucky.

DARK HARMONY, my debut novel with Red Sage Publishing, was initially released January 1, 2010 as an ebook. Available in five different formats it was poised to reach the electronic world. That, along with the incredible experience I’d had working with their talented head editor, Theresa Stevens, put me in a loving frame of mind for Red Sage. But still, in the back of my mind I held it, that tiny but irresistible urge to “hold my book in my hands” – and I don’t mean on a reader.

Imagine my delight when I heard that Red Sage decided that DARK HARMONY would be their first digital to print book, releasing June 1, 2010, offered as a print on demand book. Not too long after that I held my book in my hands. It felt good. But to be honest it didn’t feel better. The story was the same, the cover was the same. The book, according to my subconscious, had already been published. What? I proceeded to have an argument with that level of my mind, the very one that had demanded to have the book in print in the first place. The result of that heated (yet thankfully silent) discussion was that nothing had changed. This was my book; multiple formats. I’d already experienced the joy of the publication. Although satisfying to see it in paper print, it wasn’t a new experience.

So I wondered: had my subconscious been driven to desire a paper copy by the ingrained tradition of paper publishing? Was I secretly unimpressed by being electronically published? The quiet acceptance of my print copy verses the ecstatic feeling of my electronic release date put that to rest. Was then the joy of being e-pubbed driven then by the trend to go green, go electronic?  To ride the techno wave of the new e-readers? In the end I think I was happy to see my book complete and in the public eye in any format, and yet the satisfaction was completed by what I saw as its final format – paper. It was the completion of the story that counted, not the format.

Thanks to Joanna for inviting me here today! I’d like to offer a copy of DARK HARMONY to a commenter – electronic or paper?

Just answer a question: What do you think changes the way we read or what we read? Trends? Technology? Some would say that my book follows trends – an erotic vampire romance – and technology, being released in e-book first. (Winner's name will be drawn randomly)

Lilly Cain
“Stories of Darkly Seductive Fantasy and Sensual Romance”

About the book:

DARK HARMONY: Running from a lover that has twisted her very nature, Lena Townsend hunts alone. Her mildly adventurous sexual life reached its pinnacle, and its end, when she met sexually dominant vampire Darien. He stole her life, and used her sensual nature to bend her to his will. In making her his own, he placed her in a position where she must constantly submit to him, yet be dominant to his pack. It's a conflict that pulls her apart.

In leaving the pack, Lena strives for independence, but her vampire instincts push her to find more - to find a new pack, a new family. Alone, she cannot share what makes her vampire, and she cannot find a lover she can trust enough to reveal her submissive nature. In her escape Lena discovers a power that could save her - the ability to read and influence emotion. With this talent she might survive the loneliness.

Unfortunately, her old pack wants her back, no matter what.

Richard Heron has given up everything for his daughter since the murder of his wife, but what he misses most is the chance to explore his deeply sensual side once again. Once the owner of a popular S&M club, and its favored dom, he left everything he was to shelter his family. Lena could offer him more than he ever expected, a level of sensuality he never knew existed and a love that could never die, but he must reconcile the danger she brings with his need to shield his family - especially when what killed his wife was certainly not human.


Lilly's upcoming e-book is called Alien Revealed:


Inarrii agent Alinna Gaerrii was tasked with observing the Starforce base on Earth. Crash landing her observation pod onto the base was not part of her mission briefing. Neither was making m’ittar—mind contact—with Major David Brown, the human who discovered her amongst the wreckage.

David thinks she’s a psychologist sent to evaluate his Special Forces team, and Alinna goes along with his misconception, seizing the opportunity to observe humans up close. But their daily contact has unexpected side effects, and Alinna soon invades David’s dreams. Through their intimate mental connection she allows him to express his forbidden physical desires.

Alinna delights in the sensory exploration and grows excited by the prospect of a treaty with the humans and a potential life mate in David. But an attack from an unknown ship sends the base into chaos, and Alinna may be forced to reveal her lie, erasing all hope of a successful treaty, and driving David away forever…


To read more about Lilly check out her website at http://www.lillycain.com.

To purchase a copy of her book Dark Harmony or find out about other fantastic authors, check out http://www.eRedSage.com.

Comments

  1. Lilly, Congratulations on the paper release! Whew, That excerpt was hot.

    Interesting observations of the e versus print from a published author. Wonder what new technology is around the corner to flip us on our heads once again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne!

    I've been wondering the same thing. Will we see something that turns our heads even more than the sexy iPad? Probably. Everyday something new seems to pop up. :)

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lilly:
    So great to have you with us today!

    Congrats on the print release of "Dark Harmony" and on your upcoming book "Alien Revealed"! I agree with you - for many people there is a tactile pleasure in holding a book in your hands - and for an author - what a thrill to see such a tangible result of all your hard work. Then again - I work in film and TV - so for me the end product has always been "electronic".

    I'm not sure what will happen to publishing in general - if print books will become more expensive and more of collector's items - and e-books will be what we read regularly. I think younger generations are always more accepting of new technology so the popularity of e-books will increase as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been considering getting an ebook but i can't decide which one is better, there are toooo many of them!!! I still like print the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanna!

    As someone working in film you are in a perfect position to understand how I felt. Yes, the tactile sensation felt wonderful, but I felt the same as I had for the electronic release - not in a bad way miond you but not like something more had been accomplished.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brandlwyne!

    I had one of the first e-book readers, the E-bookwise and it was cool. Still iss. But hwne you compare it to the new ones? WOW it suddenly seems so old fashioned. LOL. Actually it is a great buy at under $80. But for the new ones I am leaning toward a Kobo. The price is right, it covers all the main points and the most popular formats. Of course, if I had the money I'd buy the most expensive Kindle, but there you go. :)

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the print release! I think bottom line of what will drive changes is reader preference. Some prefer paper, others love the convenience of digital and e-book readers. For me, I'm all about the paper, but I still think I will break down and buy a Kobo eventually, just so when I travel my suitcase isn't loaded down with 100 lbs of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trends like exotic vampires are not only hot, but "In" and concerning technology, even I have learned to appreciate the new wave of publishing. So thanks for sharing this page with me. But we like both the old publishing ways and the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kelly!

    I know what you mean. I still love the feel of paper when I read, but the convenience of e-formats...well you just can't beat it. 1000 books on an SD card...what can you say? :)

    Thanks for the congratulations!
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your print release, Lilly! I'm one of those holdouts who prefer paper books over ebooks, so I don't own an ereader. This is why I can appreciate your excitement at having Dark Harmony come out in print. But you're right, it shouldn't matter, should it? Maybe it's because the print is more familiar to us as readers?

    Also, congratulations on your upcoming release, Alien Revealed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks William and Anna - I guess that is what I am saying - most readers seem to include both paper and e-books in their reading. So long as we enjoy!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, we still see the need for both. We had a power storm that knocked the electricity out for days can you believe this, and we would be lost without something to read and our shelves of books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi William and Anna,

    I guess most of us forget that those sort of things happen - until they happen. We had a snowstorm here a few years ago that had us trapped for over a week, and without power for about the same amount of time. Books were indeed a haven.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  14. No matter what, Lilly, we believe there is room for ebooks because our life is fast paced, but when the electricity goes out and Mother Nature has her way, we are left fumbling for the old fashioned things, the old fashionly bound books. Thank you for your comments about these changing publishing times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lilly - I'll tell you what I notice about the bus-riding reader population. People my age (40's) and older read paperbacks. 30-and-20-somethings read their multiple electronic devices.

    I'm certain your debut release is the crest of the future - e-pubbed and print-on-demand.

    Just wanted to mention to all that I reviewed Dark Harmony over at my blog, and you can read the review HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Change is good trying to get a E-Reader soon.Ran out of room in my room for books need somewhere else to but them so and ereader can be good.

    sasluvbooks(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Julia!

    That's what I see around too - although I am one of those older chicks with an e-reader and just as likely to be using it, LOL.

    Thanks again for an awesome review of Dark Harmony!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Stacey!

    I'm with you - unless I buy a bigger house with room for a library I am going to be forced to stop buying paper soon (oh shockingly give some away). So a log of my new purchases are e-books. :) Good thing is there is so much to pick from with all of the big publishers offering both formats and all of the small publishers paving the way!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts