I Want To Be a Bad Ass….

by Nana Malone

I want to be Kathy Griffin, Bethany Frankel or Sue Sylvester when I grow up. Their lightening-quick wit, their shameless self promotion, what’s not to love?

Gotta love a tough chick.

Sure, I’m pretty certain Sue could take the Glee kids out behind the bleachers and open a can of good ol’ fashioned butt whooping, but that’s not what I mean. I’m talking mental toughness. Don’t sleep on Kathy Griffin. She may seem like a pint sized leprechaun who’s made a living out of telling jokes about celebrities, but she’s no joke. When it comes down to it, she works her booty off. There no gig that she’s too good for. When she sets a goal for herself, she goes after it whole heartedly. Let’s not forget that she’s a two time Emmy winner, and she’s also a two time Grammy nominee. As for Bethany, she’s been able to use “reality” to propel her brand. I mean for the love of God, she ws working during her wedding day. And Sue, while she makes life hell for those poor hardworking Glee kids, she works her tushy off with her beloved Cheerios.

Got tact – not so much.

But you’ve got to love the brutal honesty. Foot in the mouth syndrome anyone? I often suffer from this affliction myself. But let’s be honest, these women say things that many of us are thinking and wish we had the guts to say. Let’s me be real – I might love me some Matt Morrison (Will Shuster), but I do have some fundamental issues with a guy who’s got a better head of hair than I do. Sue tells it like it is. She’s unapologetic and she’s direct. It’s refreshing. As for Bethany, she’s not even safe from her own brand of honesty. We’ve all seen Kathy Griffin in all her awesomeness. Nothing is sacred. No one is safe. Not even Jesus. But one thing’s for sure, they’re honest.


Hearts of Gold.

It’s doesn’t take a PhD in Psychology to tell you these badass women use their well crafted armor to protect themselves from getting hurt. Like a porcupine, their verbal jabs are designed to protect the inner soft core. When it comes down to it, each of these women love deeply and will fight to protect those they care about. Yes, even Sue. I don’t want to ruin the end of Season one for any of you who haven’t seen it yet, but Sue comes through for those kids.

As writers we’re always looking to improve our characters. Somehow the great writers always manage to braid these characteristics into characters we love. If you could combine any three people and characteristics for an ideal character, who and what would they be?


All photos courtesy of Google images

Comments

  1. Fun post Nana! I really enjoy Kathy Griffin and LOVE Jane Lynch and her character Sue Sylvester on Glee ( I think she deserves to sweep all the awards this year!) Bethany I'm not as familiar with but I know she's a stand out on the reality tv circuit so clearly her brand of branding is a success for her. I think it's great to be a bad ass - to speak your mind and tell it like it is - sometimes I do and I have been known to put my foot firmly in my mouth but it helps to be cute. ;) you can get away with a lot **grin**. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester is bound to be an iconic character for the ages. Absolutely love her!

    Hmm...three people into one for one perfect character? Since I'm into tortured, brooding fictional men, but also born leaders, how about the dutiful officer still in possession of his moral compass Horatio Hornblower, the unwilling vampire Bill Compton from True Blood, and the unstoppable King Leonidas with his loyal and ultra-disciplined troops from 300?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've been watching Bethenny's story - maybe because I can relate to her and totally understand her family issues. I think once I addressed my own father issues, I was able to open up to people because I understood a whole lot more where they were coming from and could offer a lot more empathy. And they do make for fabulous fictional characters. Where would we writers be without people with issues, including our own? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts