Reboots Happen

by Michelle Miles

Reboot (fiction): to discard much or even all previous continuity in the series and start anew with fresh ideas (from Wikipedia).


It seems the “reboot” phenomena was kicked off with the new Star Trek movie by JJ Abrams starring Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. I have to admit when I first saw the film, I didn’t like some of the things that happened. I’m a true Trekkie. I grew up with reruns of the original Star Trek and was definitely a follower of The Next Generation. The thing about Star Trek is they could take just about anything, put a new captain at the helm and call it Voyager or Enterprise and we’d still love it. It just proved to those of us who were fans that the Star Trek universe was vast and full of stories yet to be told.

So when the new Star Trek came out, I was momentarily disappointed with the way things happened. I got over my disappointment. The “reboot” offers a new Star Trek Universe where the rules just are quite the same as they were in the original. Where anything really can happen now and we don’t know what’s around the next bend.

Now I get it.

I recently ran across this article about a possible remake (reboot?) of the 1981 movie Excalibur. It made me wonder if they were going to toss out all the things we knew about King Arthur and come up with something totally different, something that twists in a way we never expected, something that makes us sit up and take notice. I’ve been haunting IMDB waiting for news about the new movie directed by Bryan Singer and rumored to star Gerard Butler. (I am SO there!) Tentative release date is 2012.

I loved the original and secretly hope the new movie uses Carmina Burana. It just wouldn’t be the same without it, would it? Nigel Terry, for me, was the perfect King Arthur though he severely ticked me off when he wouldn’t fight for his wife. Come on, Artie. Get with the program! Don’t you see your wife and old Lancelot have the hots for each other? I wanted to shout at the screen for him to put aside his kingly duties and go out and kick his butt.

Oh well. Maybe in the new version, with Gerry as king, he’ll take down Lancelot. Wouldn’t that be cool? Give me that alternate ending and I’m all over it.

In Hollywood, Remakes Happen. But it seems to me Reboots are becoming increasingly popular because they can literally throw out everything we knew and create something better. I shudder to think about the possible reboot of my all-time favorites, Star Wars and Indiana Jones. No one would dare, would they? I mean, can you imagine anyone else as Indiana Jones? Can you imagine anyone else as the snappy Princess Leia? I sure can’t.


Michelle Miles loves movies, writes romance and dreams about the possibility of a new Excalibur movie starring Gerard Butler. To find out more about her and her books, check out her website at http://www.michellemiles.net/.

Comments

  1. so much fun! thanks Michelle! I agree I am tentative as well with "reboots" I liked the original Star Trek and I was a HUGE Next Gen fan! That to me was the THE BEST STAR TREK EVAH! I think Roddenberry also said it came closest to his vision. But I quite enjoyed the rebooted Star Trek and I look forward to the next one - I think they did a great job and the actors had fun playing the characters we loved so much but with their own fresh twist. I do see your point about Star Trek and Indiana Jones - although I don't think anyone would dare mess with Lucas and Spielberg do you? ;) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh Gerry in Excaliber...I would so go to that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts