Don't Tell Me They're Not Real People!


I'll bet I'm not alone in sometimes growing to like my characters more than some "real" people I know.

After all, I've spent the last several years with the women of Pittsburgh's Angels of Mercy's Medical Center, sharing their lives and loves, danger, intrigue, a few laughs….it's been great fun watching them grow and come into their own.

But now the Angels of Mercy series (LIFELINES, WARNING SIGNS, URGENT CARE, and CRITICAL CONDITION) is coming to an end...insert tragic sobbing here...

Don't worry, it ends with a bang! The finale, CRITICAL CONDITION (due out November 30th) is an adrenalin rush of a ride that wraps up everything, hopefully with some twists and turns.  Early reviews are calling it "a fantastic fast-paced finish," I call it: Die Hard in a hospital.

Any way you can think of to maim or kill someone in a hospital, I've probably used it, lol!

But, even ending with such a fun blast of a book, it's hard to say good-bye to these characters.

Just look how far they've come! In the beginning, Lydia was a stranger, new to Angels, pretty much an outcast until she proved herself (and learned to trust).

Amanda, the Southern Belle medical student, homesick for her family and learning what it means to be a doctor.

Nora, who had already survived a tragedy that no woman should have to endure, but she found the strength and courage to face her fears.

And Gina! Oh, Gina! My problem child, desperately needing to find herself….she finally comes into her own in CRITICAL CONDITION, although there's a huge price to be paid. But hey, no one in my books is ever guaranteed a happily ever after!

So, you tell me, what fictional character did you hate to say good-bye to after their story was finished?

Thanks for reading!
CJ
About CJ:
As a pediatric ER doctor, CJ Lyons lived the life she writes about in her cutting edge suspense novels and has been called a "master of the genre" (Pittsburgh Magazine). Her award-winning, critically acclaimed Angels of Mercy series (LIFELINES, WARNING SIGNS, and URGENT CARE) is available in stores now with the fourth book, CRITICAL CONDITION due out December, 2010. CJ's newest project is as co-author of the first in a new suspense series with Erin Brockovich. To learn more about CJ and her work, go to http://www.cjlyons.net



Comments

  1. Hi CJ - Oh, wow! What a journey it's been for you! But an amazing one I'm sure. ;D

    I'm sad to say goodbye to characters in every book I read. ;) But as a lover of historical fiction and especially family sagas - I had a hard time saying good-bye to the Bridgerton family - in Julia Quinn's excellent series. She created this lovely, crazy, wonderful family that you just wanted to hang out with along with their friends and spouses that it was hard to say good-bye to them. ;) I get so nostalgic about it too!

    Now on to your next adventure! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, CJ. Your books sound terrific. I can imagine after living with your characters through several books that you hate to say goodby.

    I always miss my heroine and hero when I finish a book, and I continue to miss them until I'm heavily into another book.

    I've read series where I really hated to let the characters go-like Heather Graham's Civil War series beginning with "One Wore Blue." I fell in love with that family.

    I look forward to your next series, CJ.

    Carolyn/Cara Marsi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Joanna! Wow, those Bridgertons sound fascinating, I'll have to check them out.
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, you are so right about Heather's characters! talk about feeling real!!
    Thanks for stopping by,
    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, I had a very hard time saying goodbye to the two main characters,Richard, and Kahlan in those books. This series has 12 books, which were close to 1000 pages or more each book and I read them all consecutively for 6 months straight. I was so sad when I finished. Also I was sad to let go of the characters of the Wicked series by Gregory Maguire as well.

    Can't wait for Critcal Condition

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kris! Oh yes, I so loved those characters--especially Maguire's Elphaba...somehow she resonated with me.

    Isn't it nice that we can always go back and read them again--like catching up with old friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just look how far they've come! In the beginning, Lydia was a stranger, new to Angels, pretty much an outcast until she proved herself (and learned to trust). Rx247.net online pharmacy launches promotions starting at 50% free tablets applied to any medication up to 2 x 1.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts