Happy Thanksgiving!


by Vanessa Kelly.


As a citizen of both the United States and Canada, I’m in the very fortunate position of celebrating two Thanksgivings a year. This means I have a sure-fire excuse to stuff myself with turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie at least twice a year. T
here are, however, fairly significant differences between the two versions of the holiday, one of them being the time of year. Canadian Thanksgiving falls pretty early – always on the second Monday of October. And the Canadian version seems to be more of a harvest festival than a holiday commemorating an event, even if the contemporary manifestation of that first American Thanksgiving is likely based more on myth than on history.

But one thing both holidays have in common is a theme of gratitude for the blessings in our lives, and sharing those blessings with our families and friends. In honor of American Thanksgiving, then, I’m sharing with all of you the recipe for my mother’s fabulous pumpkin pie. To this day, it’s the best I’ve ever eaten.

Have a great Thanksgiving! And don’t forget to have that extra slice of pie on me!

Flora’s Pumpkin Pie
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1-3/4 cup of canned pumpkin
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon allspice
1-1/2 cups evaporated milk or light cream
19 inch pastry shell

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix ingredients in order given. Pour into pie shell and back for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 and continue baking for 45 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before serving.

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving V! I'm so going to try that pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Vanessa - dual citizen here, as well! Though I tend to only celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving, as that's where I'm living.

    My husband's great joy is pumpkin pie - so thanks for this recipe. We'll give it a spin.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pie is so awesome, but I had a heck of a time translating my mother's chicken scratch. She was definitely an old world cook - a little of this...a little of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Vanessa! That pie sounds absolutely yummylicious! ;D

    I'll tell you what I'm thankful for - all you wonderful Divas! ;D

    cheers!
    jojo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe, Vanessa. My kids have now decided that pumpkin pie is a must for Thanksgiving, and only Lemon meringue pie will do at Christmas.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating today. It's great thing we have a day to remind us to be thankful--it's so easy to get caught up in being busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I lived in Canada for a while in the late Sixties, and I celebrated Thanksgiving up there the first year I was there. Thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe. It seems easy. Even I can do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts