Color Me Romanced

by Nana Malone

Love is blind. Or so I’ve been told. I grew up in Wonder Bread land. I remember at all the school dances, my friends would eagerly point out any brown boy who’d wondered in from a visiting school regardless of if I found him attractive or not. When I wanted to know why I couldn’t crush on TJ Smith, our hot blond quarterback, no one had a good answer for me.
As an avid reader of romance, I thought the heroes in romance novels weren’t for me. None of the heroines looked like me, but that didn’t stop me from devouring all the romance I could get my hands on. I loved the idea of love, the idea of falling in love. I thought one day there’d be a heroine like me. Cue African American romance. At last, someone I identified with, but soon I started to wonder why everyone had to match like Black Barbie and Black Ken. Why couldn’t black Barbie go out with White Ken? Lack of anatomically correct parts notwithstanding.
When I started to write my first romance novel. Not only did I initially want to write heroines that looked like me, I wanted the heroes to reflect the smorgasbord of men available. My secret list(The one my husband lets me keep) has beautiful men of all skin tones. I love a good Brad Pitt. I also love Daniel Oh and Boris Kodjoe. Why limit my heroines?
Will my interracial couples deal with issues that mono-racial couples don’t deal with? Absolutely. When writing Interracial or multicultural books, to attempt to ignore the racial conflicts or socioeconomic conflicts inherent to all relationships would be doing the characters an injustice. It would also be plain dumb, since for writers, one of the main ingredients to your romance dish is conflict. But to me it’s important that it not be the focal point of the story. The characters will have to deal with some aspects of race but it’s not going to be in their faces throughout the whole book. I’m an African woman. Sure. But me being an African woman doesn’t come up in my daily life. How tedious would DH find it if I reminded him every day I was an African woman.
People ask me a lot if I feel there’s a lack of an authentic voice if someone of one race writes a different race. For me, the answer is no. Just because I’m a woman of color doesn’t mean I can’t write a character who is white. Like all things, writers have to do their research and be careful not to write flat two dimensional caricatures. I feel like some excellent authors shy away from giving their books a little spice and flavor because they’re fearful that they won’t get the voice right and risk alienating readers. I’ve read too many Wonder Bread novels. I’d love to see more pumpernickel.
For anyone interested in some excellent authors that have great I/R stories, here are some of my favorites: Eve Vaughn, Shiloh Walker, Kate Douglas, Kayla Perrin, Suzanne Brockman (Trouble Shooters #6), Kimberly Kaye Terry, Lena Matthews just to name a few.
*Images courtesy of Google Images and Banana Republic

Comments

  1. Yay! We say we read to broaden our horizons. We say we can write characters who are duchesses, aliens, vampires--heck, lawyers, Texans, spies. But then comes the marketing by color and critique of inauthenticity over race. No way! Books are a great place to test, imagine, play, and I want it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for the pumpernickel as well. I love a good interracial story - like David Bowie and Iman. I love how they share everything, including eyeliner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann Marie! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. If I can write about aliens and humans, I figure I can write about two different races. Lol.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol Malaka! I will send you some pumpernickel and eyeliner. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ Malaka!

    I agree completely with you, Nana. Every time I write a male character's POV, I'm going way outside of my personal experience. Why couldn't I write from another racial group's perspective, especially if I write paranormal and write from a vampire POV?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Julia! I'd love to see a lot more multicultural books out there, but I think a lot of us writers have a little fear. I say be bold. You never know you might discover a whole new genre you're good at.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post Nana! I agree with you completely. I mean no one asks a mystery writer if they feel comfortable writing about murderers if they've never killed anyone. Or an historical author who bases her characters in Medieval Scotland - chances are she doesn't have a time travel machine. Sheesh! This is what writers do - we create characters- get into the heads of "personas" that are removed from our daily existence and it's all about imagination and yes - research. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for your pov Nana--we are all humans after all with more common values than differences. I'm shouting--"I'm a citizen of the world, a child of the universe!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment Joanna! It's all about the imagination. More Pumpernickel please :)

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Esther! Hooray for citizens of the world. Thanks for coming by and leaving me a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog Nana!!! :)

    I agree with you about love and romance. It's what's inside that makes a character I love, not the color of their skin.

    We don't need matching sets! LOL

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Nana!
    First, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you've enjoyed my work!

    Second, I totally agree with you. We writers write about a whole host of characters...it's called research, research, research! But the truth is, at our core, we're all human. No matter our race/cultural background, we all experience the same emotions. I think there should be more interracial stories. I know readers want them...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts