New year, fresh page

by Angela Guillaume


Well, we're already almost two full months into the new year and as always the days are going superfast! At least, that's how I've felt since I turned 30! This week, I accomplished something--I finished writing a novel. I always feel great when I get something this huge done because it doesn't happen every day. To a writer, finishing a story is bittersweet. You really want to have it all on paper (or Word file :)), but at the same time, you do miss the characters at the end. That said, nothing beats the feeling of accomplishment you get when you write "The End".

This made me think of all those times I felt inspired to drive myself to the limit, to reach an important goal. One of the biggest sources of inspiration to me are movies. Here is a list of twenty inspirational movies that have made a mark on me:

1) Finding Forrester
2) Under the Tuscan Sun
3) Gifted Hands
4) Little Man Tate
5) My Name is Khan
6) Peaceful Warrior
7) Mr. Smith goes to Washington
8) Forrest Gump
9) The Pursuit of Happyness
10) Babe (yes, even an intrepid little piglet gets its props :))
11) Dead Poet's Society
12) Life is Beautiful
13) Pay It Forward
14) Freedom Writers
15) Amistad
16) Chocolat
17) Schindler's List
18) Oliver Twist
19) The Piano
20) A Beautiful Mind

These movies all featured characters who have had to go outside their comfort zone and reach out for the stars, or in some cases, for a path to healing. They depict people who may have veered off course but work hard to carve out a place for themselves in the world. Isn't that what we all try to do? Sometimes things don't end well, but what matters is the journey.

So what are the movies that have inspired you most in life, or in your career?

Angela Guillaume
Author of Romantic Fiction
Mile High to Heaven
Mr. & Mrs. Foster
Available from Whiskey Creek Press Torrid

Comments

  1. WTG on writing The End! That's a mighty achievement indeed!

    Movies... Not one per se that has inspired me. It's little bits and pieces in all of them that ring home sometimes. Gotta admit though that Nancy Meyers' movies have made me want to write light yet at the same time, delving into characters and their lives in a novel way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - congrats on finishing your novel!

    some of those movies on your list are also on mine.

    very true - movies can inspire us - so can books and - yes even TV shows! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this sounds really corny but Pee Wee's Big Adventure always inspired me to never give up. That along the way you have adventures to keep you company. Ha-ha.

    BTW, Happy 30th. This year I will be 30....something. Finishing a novel, there is no feeling like it. Until edits that is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts