An Introduction by Elaine Cantrell



Okay, I feel like the new girl at school who doesn’t know anyone and has to eat lunch by herself. My name is Elaine Cantrell, and I’m new here. Let me tell you a little bit about myself. First of all, I’m from the South. I say ya’ll which is always plural, and I do eat grits. If you think you don’t like grits, try shrimp and grits. Bet you change your mind. I’m happily married, and I have two sons and three grandchildren.

I recently adopted an unwanted dog who is, shall we say, challenging. I love him, though. He and I are buddies. Every time I walk in the door he bounds across the room and launches himself at me. I swear he’s airborne. He bounces off my chest and has a conniption fit trying to lick me. I’m trying to break him of that. It’s somewhat inconvenient to have a small, German shepherd size animal bouncing off your chest.

Since I am from the South I’m going to give everyone a language lesson. If you head South you’ll need to know these.

1. ya’ll: As I said before this is plural. How are ya’ll doing means you and your family.

2. kin: to be related to. Are you kin to Robert?

3. idnit: isn’t it. The weather is fine idnit?

4. fixin: getting ready to do something. I’m fixin to go to the store.

5. hissy fit: you lost your temper and carried on. She had a hissy fit when she found out about the car.

6. sorry: no account. He’s about as sorry as they come.

7. thang: any object. I almost broke that thang.

8. thank: think. I thank I left it at Joe’s house.

9. caint: can’t. I caint solve this problem.

10. frazzle: fatigue, nervousness. His nerves are frazzled.

11.war: wire. Hand me that war. Not pronounced exactly like war, but it’s the best I can do.

Here are some expressions I’ve heard older people say, but younger people don’t use them regularly.

Poke-a sack
Holler-a small valley
Spell- a stretch of time
Atter-after
Study-think about it

There are plenty of other Southern expressions and sayings, but this’ll get you started. Let me invite you to visit me at http://www.elainecantrell.com or at my blog at http://www.elainep.cantrell.blogspot.com. I have a new book coming out March 8, and I’m having a blog party with prizes. The book’s from Astraea Press and is called A New Dream. Here’s the prologue from A New Dream.

Prologue

The red convertible cut a path through the moonlight, its headlights dancing along the arched limbs of the trees above the road.

“Oh, Matt, it’s such a beautiful night,” Stacey declared with a sigh. “I’m going to miss you when you leave tomorrow.”

Matt reached for her hand and brought it to his lips. “I’ll miss you too, but if I don’t report on time, I’m in trouble with the coach.”

“That’s what I get for falling in love with a pro football player,” Stacey teased, her blonde hair turned to frosted silver by the light of the full moon above them.

Matt squeezed her hand that wore his engagement ring. “It’s too late to back out now,” he teased. “You’re mine.”

“Mmm, do I like the sound of that!”

The car rounded a curve, and without warning a deer bounded across the road. “Look out,” Stacey screamed.

Matt braked sharply to avoid the animal. The tires slid on a patch of loose gravel in the road, and he lost control of the convertible. It fishtailed and started to spin in the road.

He hauled on the steering wheel to correct the slide, but it was useless. The car turned around once more and skidded backwards for a short distance before it charged off the road. It jumped a steep ditch and went airborne. All Matt could see was a blur of trees and darkness as the car careened into the woods. It made a lazy turn in the air and came to rest bottom side up.
The last thing he remembered was the sound of Stacey’s screams.

A New Dream is available at http://www.astraeapress.com, and you can watch a video preview at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ZhcFi1GuQ

See you soon,
Elaine

Comments

  1. *Pulls up a chair at the lunch table*

    Hi, Elaine! I just love the Southern saying you posted. I recently did an accent tag on youtube (I'm from Wales) and mentioned that I love the Southern accent -- yeah, now living in North Carolina, I'm kinda in heaven. We have North and South and Gone with the Wind to blame for my love of the South :)

    Frazzle is a good word. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love frazzle too. It perfectly describe me most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hellooo Elaine! Welcome!!! I love your Southern language tips! I'll have to remember those. I like saying y'all too - and i'm from Canada! :D

    And as for you the excerpt of your book - okay - now I want to read it! :D

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts