Eternal Optimism

by Suzie Quint

Weddings. They make me cry. I don't know what it is about them. I've never tested this, but I bet I'd cry at the wedding of total strangers. It never starts later than the bride's walk down the aisle. I turn into a waterfall. And I never have enough Kleenex.

So what is it about weddings that make them more reliable than a sad movie for turning on the spigot?

For me, I think it's the eternal optimism they represent. The willingness to believe (and to promise) to love the person you marry for the rest of your life, and to believe it, in spite of the statistics, the public carryings-on and breakups of celebrity marriages, the broken homes they've seen (and often spring from) and, in some cases, their own previously failed marriages. I know a woman who recently got married for the eighth time. (I think it's the eighth time-I've kind of lost count.) If that's not optimism, I don't know what is.

Maybe that's why I like a good romance novel. The optimism of a happy ending. The way you know when you close the book that these characters you've come to care so much about will live their happily-ever-after, and while it may not be all smooth sailing, they'll be one of the couples who make it, holding hands as they ride into the sunset.

And that of course is what we all hope for at every wedding we attend. I want my love ones to have a happy life and to be there for each other for better, for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health as long as they live.

And since this post is all about weddings, I want to share this picture of the most beautiful bride I've ever known. (I'm not bias or anything.)
My gorgeous niece

What do weddings mean to you? Do you cry, too?


Feel free to visit me at my blog
You can also find me on Facebook
And Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts