Why Eat When You Can Write?

When my husband goes away to work, I stop eating. You see, he works in the Arctic, two weeks on, two weeks off. When he’s home, I do nothing but cook. We eat like kings: a full English breakfast, chicken sandwiches for lunch, steak for dinner. But when he leaves for his two weeks away, that’s it for me. Why? Because it all just seems like such a huge waste of time. I mean, you add up all the hours spent preparing, cooking, eating and cleaning up from meals. Life revolves around eating, drinking, putting the kettle on, making endless cups of tea; and all those cups have to be washed up.

I don’t mean to imply that I don’t eat at all. Of course I eat, but in a very minimal fashion, and I cook as little as I can get away with. For example, today for breakfast I had two slices of bread and jam. For lunch I had a piece of (already made) banana bread. For dinner I had a cold chicken breast leftover from the previous night’s dinner, and a slice of apple pie. Lovely! And no cooking involved. Tomorrow I may have to (grudgingly) cook some sausages, some to eat and some to be cold leftovers for another no-prep, no-cook meal. And what do I do with all this freed-up time? I write! I mean, seriously: why eat when you can write? Why chop carrots, when you could dash off a few chapters of your latest novel?

So, how many words have I written since freeing myself from the tedium of mealtime? How many do you think? Seriously? Really? I’ll tell you: none. Not one single solitary word. Oh, I’ve done things. I’ve walked around the garden. I’ve picked apples. I’ve googled recipes for apple jelly. I’ve updated my Facebook page. I’ve written this blog. But actual, bona fide writing? Zilch, my friends, and I’ll tell you why: because this whole not eating thing is an excuse. Sure, it frees up a lot of my time, but instead of writing, I find I’m frittering the time away on anything but writing. It’s like Chris Baty, who founded Nanowrimo, says: a writer needs a deadline. A writer needs to be kicked up the ass in order to actually get anything down on paper. A writer needs to be forced into a state of panic before he’ll get down to the task at hand. Let him think he’s got all the time in the world, and he’ll never begin; but tell him he has to have his novel finished by next Monday lunchtime, and he’ll start typing like a mental case.

So, instead of skipping proper nutrition, I should really be taking the time to eat properly, and then sit down to write my bestseller. If only someone would give me a deadline!

You know what? I’m hungry.


http://anne-devereux.tumblr.com


Comments

  1. Anne - i have a great idea - why don't you make your deadlines ever two weeks - that is you set yourself a goal to write x number of pages or words or chapters during those two weeks your husband is working - then when he gets back for two weeks you can review, revise, research etc... and cook. ;) but your deadline is always every two weeks. ;) hope that helps! and i like you - hate to make complicated meals when it's just me - trying to get work done. cheers! jojo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that...procrastination is totally my middle name. Give me a deadline and I can give you a book in a month. Without deadlines, it takes me a year! LOL

    I reckon that's a fantastic solution, Joanna. I'm gonna set myself up weekly deadlines from now, give myself that huge kick up the behind that I so obviously need from time to time. :)

    And full english breakfast...YUM! Only way we can get one of those in North Carolina is if we drive into the city and dine at the Big Ben Pub. They do a splendid breaky :) authentic bangers and bacon. Love it! But it's not cheap, so we can't do that too often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts