Confessions of a Holiday Spokesmodel

By Pamela DuMond

It was the holidays. I was twenty years old, between college and chiropractic school, and needed some moolah. Drug dealing wasn't my thing, and my days as a cabaret singer seemed to have passed. (Yes, I was a Gaslight Girl.)

http://www.gaslightclubs.com/#!gallery/vstc1=historical-photos

So I became a Holiday Spokesmodel at a department store in Yorktown, our local mall. But at the tender age of twenty, what product do you think I was qualified to hawk?

Could I have been A Perfume Model? (Not qualified - couldn't spritz fast enough.)

Perhaps the Incredible Floor Mop Woman? (Not qualified - shoulders not strong enough to mop all day.)

But there was one job I was good at. One job which I could perform with flying colors for eight hour shifts with a song in my heart and a smile on my face. I became...

The Grilled Cheese Machine Spokesmodel.



Perhaps you haven't heard of the famous Grilled Cheese Machines. You just popped some bread inside with a little cheese. Put another slice on top. Closed the lid. Waited a minute or so. And whammo presto - a nicely sealed grilled cheese - very little leakage. Grilled Cheese Machines Corporate informed me that soon every household in America would have, at minimum, two of these machines. (Oops I think they might have exaggerated.)

I made teeny tiny grilled cheese sandwich bites for hoards of holiday shoppers.  I sold a lot of machines.

This holiday I'm not selling cheese.

BSP: I am however publishing the next story in my Annie Graceland Cupcakes mystery series to e-readers. Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails - The Novella is set during an Easter/Passover holiday sale at a department store.

Bargain Alert: I'm selling it for 99 cents! 



Description of Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails - The Novella: Annie Graceland’s a midwestern baker with a pinch of psychic ability that’s surviving a divorce while navigating the mean clean streets of L.A. When stressed, Annie’s psychic gift/curse kicks into high gear. She’s empathic; feels other people’s lusts, urges and desires in her own body. Not a problem if that someone’s craving chocolate or Kettle Chips. Definitely a problem if she’s haunted by a pesky ghost to solve their murder.


Annie’s friends push her to update her wardrobe as she re-enters the dating world. At Snotsky's Department Store, Annie meets the world's most obnoxious clerk: Edith Flowers. When Edith’s murdered and doesn’t pass to the After-Life, Annie agrees to investigate her demise. She infiltrates the crew of Snotsky’s suspects. Was it the new manager, the archrival in Cocktail attire, the bra fitter? Will Annie solve the murder and find anything new to wear that she can afford? Can she do it before hottie Det. Rafe Campillio finds it odd Annie keeps showing up at murder scenes?

Bonus: 1st chapter excerpt from Cupcakes, Pies, and Hot Guys! (Next novel in the series.) 

The waiting is almost over. Let the mayhem begin. The e-book links should be up in the next couple of days on Amazon and B&N Nook. Feel free to check my author page on Amazon in a couple of days which will probably re-direct you to the new book.


Happy Holidays!

Pam DuMond

~ Now go read a good book and tell someone you love about it! ~


Comments

Popular Posts