You're A Mean One Mr. Grinch

by Kelly Ann Beaton


The famous line, "a heart two sizes too small", is from my all time favourite Christmas holiday television special , How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  


Published in 1957, the well-known children's story by Dr. Seuss written in rhymed verse with illustrations by the author was adapted by Chuck Jones as an animated television special in 1966, featuring narration by Boris Karloff.






I am not sure if it is  Karloff's voice,  or  Cindy Lou Who, who asks the Grinch, "why" , but each time I watch it, I am 10 years old again, sitting on my living room sofa in my PJs and and pink slippers. I can remember the excitement I felt when the music started and the opening shot on Whoville.   Each year I try to make sure I am home to watch it but in the recent years I have not had a chance. However, this year, I am already organizing my holiday activities around the show.  That might sound silly but 35 years later, I am still smitten by the story and I do tear up when the Grinch's heart expands.

It's interesting to note that it was initially criticized for being anti-commercialization of Christmas when it first aired, I think that this message of the show is particularly relevant for our world today. In the face of a society consumed by conspicuous consumption and instantaneous gratification, I believe that it is timely to reflect on what is the real meaning of the holiday and more importantly how happiness can never be achieved through the accumulation of things and filling each minute of the day with things to do.

So in the spirit of the citizens of Whoville, let's put away the blackberrys, slow down and spend time with people we love, decide to buy less gifts and let all of us, in the words of Dr. Seuss,"the tall and the small, sing." Without any presents celebrates the real spirit of the holiday season.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Comments

  1. Hi Joanna,

    Nothing brings back my childhood Christmases like the original Grinch cartoon. (Wasn't a fan of the later movies). Great post!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts