Books I'm Addicted To

By Lucy Felthouse

So, books I'm addicted to... anything by Richelle Mead. Seriously, ever since I first picked up one of her Succubus books, I've devoured everything she's written. I read so much and so widely that I can't keep up with every new release by every author I like, but somehow I've managed it with Mead's books. I just finished The Indigo Spell within less than 48 hours of it dropping through my letterbox.

I can't quite put my finger on why I find her books so addictive. I guess it must be a combination of things - her easy-to-read writing style, the humour, the engaging storylines, fascinating (and sassy) characters, the forbidden relationships... Yeah, that's probably a large part of it. I'm a sucker for a forbidden romance, and I was totally gripped by the Rose and Dimitri storyline. I'd totally like to put myself in her shoes ;) Definitely a delicious book boyfriend!

I'm quite interested in Richelle Mead's audience, too. She writes two genres under the same name - young adult (the Vampire Academy books and its spin-offs) and urban fantasy (the Succubus and Storm/Iron books) which is a tad hot and a tad adult, if that makes sense. As I said, I found her urban fantasy/paranormal stuff first, and loved it. Georgina Kincaid is one of my favourite characters of all time. And it was the writing style that drew me to check out Mead's other books, which was great as I love vampire stories, too. I don't think I'll ever get bored of them :)

However, I'm an adult and therefore allowed to read whatever I like. So I wonder what happens when "young adults" check out the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines novels and then want to read the other books. I'm not a parent and have no idea how these things work, but I genuinely wonder if parents would allow their kids to read the urban fantasy stuff by Mead. I guess it all depends on the age and maturity of the minor in question.

So what do you think, everyone? Do two genres written by the same author get the same audiences? And what problems, in your opinion, does this present? And what authors will you continue to read, no matter what they write?

*****

Lucy Felthouse is a very busy woman! She writes erotica and erotic romance in a variety of subgenres and pairings, and has over seventy publications to her name, with many more in the pipeline. These include Best Bondage Erotica 2012 and 2013, and Best Women's Erotica 2013. Another string to her bow is editing, and she has edited and co-edited a number of anthologies. She owns Erotica For All, and is book editor for Cliterati. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. Join her on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to her newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/gMQb9

Comments

Popular Posts