Sherlock vs. Sherlock - or Benedict Cumberbatch vs. Robert Downey Jr.

Soo... this will probably be quite a controversial post. What fun!

Sherlock vs. Sherlock - as in Sherlock, the BBC drama series and the films Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows. I must point out that I haven't seen the US show Elementary - and I think that would complicate this post further, so I'm going to stick with two for now.

Setlock
By Consulting DetectivePaula Holmes
Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock

  • Has rabid fangirls
  • Looks intelligent without even speaking
  • Pulls off the eccentric, uber-genius role to perfection. I especially loved the scene (I don't remember which episode) where he's in his dressing gown and flops onto the sofa like a petulant child
  • Is mostly horrible to Watson, Mrs. Hudson and Molly, but loves them really
  • Is funny without meaning to be
  • Is totally convincing - especially when he goes into the mode where he's working things out
  • Looks awesome in a long coat and a deerstalker


Robert Downey Jr.
By Dalboz17Matt DeTurck
Robert Downey Jr. as Sherlock

  • Gets better with age
  • Pulls off the British accent excellently
  • Is a very convincing eccentric
  • Has the right balance of arrogance and humour
  • Is mean and self-centred - especially when it comes to Watson having an outside life - but not so bad that you dislike him
  • Is excellent during fight scenes
  • Is top-notch where you see him working out what he's going to do next
  • Makes the films very accessible with his playfulness
  • Looks awesome in the Victorian garb
Verdict: Both bloody awesome! They've both taken a fictional character and put their own spin on it. Both versions are highly intelligent, of course, with Cumberbatch's version being much more arrogant, and Downey Jr's being funnier and more playful. Cumberbatch seems to have lots of rabid fangirls... not sure about Downey Jr. - what do you reckon? Who's your favourite Sherlock? I don't think I can choose just one, as they both work really well in the environments they've been placed in, and with their respective co-stars.

I think for my next post, I'll do Watson vs. Watson to extend the fun ;)

*****

Lucy Felthouse is a very busy woman! She writes erotica and erotic romance in a variety of subgenres and pairings, and has over seventy publications to her name, with many more in the pipeline. These include Best Bondage Erotica 2012 and 2013, and Best Women's Erotica 2013. Another string to her bow is editing, and she has edited and co-edited a number of anthologies. She owns Erotica For All, and is book editor for Cliterati. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. Join her on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to her newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/gMQb9

Comments

  1. Such excellent points about each portrayal, you make it difficult to chose, but chose I must: Benedict Cumberbatch, hands down :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it's okay. There's plenty of him to go around ;)

      Delete
  2. Valid points about each, but Cumberbatch is my favorite, hands down. He just does it for me, much to my husband's detriment. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other half agrees with me! It seems Benedict can turn straight men!

      Delete
  3. Well, if Sherlock Holmes was a short American of somewhat slovenly habits RDJ would win hands down.

    However, if he's a tall, elegant Englishman the clear winner is Cumberbatch.

    Call me a purist, but I think the depiction of an iconic hero ought to resemble the author's creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, elegant is a good word to describe Benedict. He really is!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Another vote for Benedict. I'm starting to feel sorry for RDJ! ;)

      Delete
  5. Mad, mad, mad in love with Robert Downey Jr.! I don't believe he can do any wrong! Such strong acting no matter what he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I haven't seen him in much other than Sherlock and The Avengers/Iron Man films, but he is good :)

      Delete
  6. What a great throwdown! I have to agree with Anonymous...Cumberbatch fits the bill. However, allow me to qualify that if Jonny Lee Miller of Elementary (the US series about a modern-day Sherlock) were in the running, I'd have to go with him. I love the way he's quirky and cute and I really love idea of a female Dr. Watson. Lucy Liu does a fantastic job with the role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to check out Elementary at some point, but I'm already have trouble juggling all the shows I watch! :)

      Delete
  7. Benedict Cumberbatch - his is English, after all, even if he doesn't have the je ne sais quoi of RDJ. - Chloe Thurlow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a very sexy accent. I'm a sucker for a posh British accent. :)

      Delete
  8. I love the comparison, but I cannot vote, sadly, as I don't know enough about the first player in the competition! Sounds like a chap about whom I'd like to find out more, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely check out the BBC version of Sherlock. It's been incredibly popular!

      Delete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts