Odd Thomas Series

From the writing desk of Christine Mazurk


I had a hard time with my topic this morning, spent hours mulling over ideas and finally came to the conclusion that I should write about a book I recently finished. Have any of you read the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz?

My husband and I have been reading them for years. In fact, I just bought the newest release a few weeks ago; Odd Interlude - a special Odd Thomas adventure - but realized I hadn't read the last one.

Odd Hours, which I think is the fourth book in the series, was sitting on my TBR (to be read) pile, and I decided to revisit Odd. Once I started, I couldn't put it down. He gets into all kinds of dark happenings. He's been drawn into situations by inexplicable paranormal forces, and he's even killed people to thwart huge catastrophes. So what makes us like him? Why do we root for him to save the world?

He's a nice young man, an unassuming fry cook. The books are written in his POV, a journal of his adventures, and we are right there with him as he's chased, beaten up, shot at ... He dreams, has premonitions, even sees dead people - usually stars like Elvis or Frank Sinatra - but through all of it, he stays true to his character. He has a sense of humor, and for the most part, is optimistic about life and the world we live in.

He's suffered devastation - lost his only true love, but he takes off after the things that call to him. He sees things that don't make any sense, but he believes the 'Greater God' has it all planned out. He's got a huge heart, is always polite, and never - well almost never - curses. With each adventure, we learn more about the special gift (or is it a curse) he possesses. Why he's the chosen one for these journeys.

He's simply a likeable guy! And he's determined to help when he can.

The next book on the 'Odd' pile is Odd Apocalypse, but I just learned that Odd Interlude begins exactly where Odd Hours ended, so Apocalypse will have to wait. I want to continue the journey with Odd and his new friend Annamaria. Where else will he go? What other trouble awaits?

I need to find out. The books are calling.
So until next time ... Pick up one of the Odd books and enjoy!
Christine     
 

Comments

  1. Sounds fascinating, Christine. By the way, I loved Passion's Race. Write faster.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts