A Place Like No Other

by Kellyann Zuzulo

The Marriott resort in Palm Beach Shores, Florida
The end of summer means the end of vacation for most people, me included. Waning days of equatorial bliss fade like the sun sinking on the horizon...  *screech* Stop! Nothing is waning and nothing is sinking. The sun is always rising somewhere! A pet peeve of mine is when people say (and, admittedly, I've done it, too), "Oh, time goes so fast. Where did the summer go?" Nyargh! I hate the idea that just because something slips into past tense, it has to suddenly be put on the speedy shelf, as if everything happened in fast forward. Then life becomes nothing more than a dash forward. This blog was meant to be about a favorite place to visit. I'm trying to teach myself that my favorite place is where I am.

Here I sit on a veranda overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Palm Beach, Florida. There's nothing happening except some waves washing up on the shore, sea birds going manic for some bait fish, and a really annoying helicopter hovering over the golden sands. (Time does seem to go really slow when there's a repetitive thrumming sound in your head.) We worked really hard for this vacation and when it ends on Sunday, I refuse to look back and say, "Wow, that was over so fast." What a waste that would be. I look around and say to myself, "I never want this moment to end." How many times have you done that? I don't want to be a downer, but it will end. So while you're in it, don't think about that. Take possession of your time. My point is that every day can be taken in a sort of vacation mode if you slow down, look around, take a deep breath. Fully occupy the space around you...in each moment that you're in it.

Palm Beach certainly isn't someplace that I'll always be in and, in fact, this is my first trip here. There are so many places to see that I may never be back here. Last year, it was Hilton Head (best ocean swimming ever!), earlier this summer we went to a Poconos resort (ugh! I'm glad that's in the past: lake smelled like sewage and the room smelled like stale cigarettes. In that case, time couldn't move fast enough.) Vacations are an opportunity to slow down time, to be where you are, to recognize that where you are is a place like no other. Perhaps Winnie the Pooh said it best:
“What day is it?"
It's today," squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day," said Pooh.” 
― A.A. Milne
“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” 
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Best Wishes,
Kellyann Zuzulo
Read the novel  The Genie Smolders as you sit enjoying where you are.
$3.99 from Boroughs Publishing Group.

Comments

Popular Posts