Reading: A Lifelong Obsession

By Lucy Felthouse

I have a lot of people and things to thank for my route to becoming a writer. One of the main things, I believe, is reading. And I have people to thank for that alone. I'm around ten or eleven years younger than three of my closest cousins, and between the three of them, I learned to read early. Because of this (and I'm not showing off, just stating facts!) I was advanced in my school reading. I whizzed through all the books on the library shelves, hungry for more. What had started at something probably kind of cute for my cousins had turned into an obsession for me.

The three of them gave me their old books, too, so I was reading books much "older" than I probably should have been. But I didn't care. The mobile library quickly became my friend, and I devoured Enid Blyton's books one by one. I'm sure I read other stuff, but it is Enid Blyton's books that really stand out in my mind as being my favourites. She was prolific, of course, and when I finished one of hers, I still had lots more to choose from. I particularly liked the more adventure focussed ones - like the Adventure Series, Famous Five and Secret Seven. I think they're what truly fired my imagination, allowed me to get lost in worlds so different from my own. Throughout my childhood, I actually preferred staying in and reading than going out and playing with friends!

And so, at a very young age, reading became my favourite pastime. My parents would often comment about me "having my head stuck in a book". I've never ever stopped reading, though of course the subject matter has changed. Though I would happily sit down and read Enid Blyton's books all over again. I now read massively and widely, and this had fed into my writing, too.

So thank you to my cousins, and thank you to Enid Blyton and the scores of other writers I've read over the years. You've given me many, many happy hours of entertainment and flights of fancy in my fertile imagination.

*****
Lucy Felthouse is a very busy woman! She writes erotica and erotic romance in a variety of subgenres and pairings, and has over seventy publications to her name, with many more in the pipeline. These include Best Bondage Erotica 2012, 2013 and 2014 and Best Women's Erotica 2013. Another string to her bow is editing, and she has edited and co-edited a number of anthologies. She owns Erotica For All, and is book editor for Cliterati. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. Join her on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to her newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/gMQb9

Comments

Popular Posts