Author Interview with Kat Flannery

Kat's Christmas

By Alison Bruce

Kat Flannery’s love of history shows in the novels she writes. She is an avid reader of historical, suspense, paranormal, and romance. When not researching for her next book, Kat can be found running her three sons to hockey and lacrosse. She’s been published in numerous periodicals. HAZARDOUS UNIONS, Two Tales of a Civil War Christmas is Kat’s third book and she is hard at work on her next.

Kat and I worked together on Hazardous Unions. It was her idea to set our two novellas at Christmastime and I've always wanted to ask her why.

Why a Christmas story? What is it about Christmas that makes it a magnet for romance? (You don’t see nearly as many stories set at Easter, for instance.)

This is true, although you now have my creative wheels turning. For me Christmas is about family. With Hazardous Unions Matty and Maggie Becker are twin sisters separated by the war. They’ve grown up with strong family morals and values. I wanted to utilize that aspect in the book and to have the story take place during Christmas just fit. Romance sells it’s best during the Christmas season because they’re feel-good books with a happy ending. I want warm and cozy during the winter months but especially during Christmas. Plus, I like a challenge. I’ve never written a war story or one set during Christmas. I did a lot of research and enjoyed every minute of it.

What are your favorite Christmas time stories? Are there one or more that you read and/or watch every year?

Oh, I’m jumping for joy that you asked this question. My all time favorite book is Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. I love that book and the movie—the black and white version of course. I’ve probably read it a hundred times.

We also watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation every Christmas Eve with the family. My boys love it.

Christmas in the mid-nineteenth century was a lot different than it is now. What traditions did you have to leave out for historical accuracy and what could you include?

There were many traditions I had to leave out. Christmas today is very commercialized where as back then it was more reserved. In the 1800’s people didn’t have much, and during the war it was even less. Decorations held some similarities in the spruce tree, homemade ornaments and spruce branches for garland on fireplace mantels. However, there were no blinking lights on the tree or eaves. Most people look at Christmas as a time to indulge but back then it was not. Boiled ham, roasted chicken, pudding and breads were common and there was baking and candy if you could afford them. What I love about the Christmas season back then is that it was simple. It was about love.

What are you and your family doing for Christmas?
Every year about five days before Christmas we have our annual Christmas Party with all our extended family. It’s so much fun to visit, play games and even watch the kids when Santa arrives. After the party we are going to the mountains to spend Christmas. I’m looking forward to spending time with my boys and husband, singing carols by the fire, going to Christmas Eve service, and of course the goodies I’ll eat.

Can you give us hint about the next book you’re working on?

Sure, I am currently writing another paranormal historical romance. I’m about half way through and hope to have it finished by end of December with the possibility of it being published late summer of 2014.

Find out more about Kat at:
Website: www.katflannery-author.com
Blog: www.kat-scratch.blogspot.ca
Twitter: https://twitter.com/katflannery1
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kat-Flannery/131065966999142

Book links:
CHASING CLOVERS
LAKOTA HONOR
HAZARDOUS UNIONS -FREE November 20-22, 2013

Comments

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts