Merry Christmas to all

From the writing desk of Christine Mazurk


My favorite thing as a child at Christmas time was the wee hours of Christmas morning.

On Christmas Eve, my brother and I couldn't wait to put out the freshly baked cookies and a nice tall glass of milk for Santa. We wanted to go to sleep so Santa would have plenty of time to make his rounds and reach every house on his list. In our house there was never anything under the tree until after Santa visited, so we were eager to shut our eyes and dream of what would be there when we woke up in the morning.

We always woke around 4am, the house dark and quiet, except for the faint glow of the street lights outside. We'd tiptoe into the living room and gasp at the sight of piles of beautifully wrapped packages, their shiny bows reflecting the outside light. The tinsel on the tree glistening like angels wings. It was pure magic!

We were not allowed to touch any of the packages other than to peak at the names on the tags, so my parents invented another tradition -- they filled our stockings, which we were allowed to take into my room, with puzzles and games, knowing we would keep busy for hours, allowing the adults to sleep in.

When Mom, Dad, and Meme, my grandmother on my mother's side, finally got up, we would sit at the dining room table and eat a delicious breakfast of croissants and cafĂ© au lait. Once breakfast was finished, we piled into the living room. My brother usually played Santa and handed out all the packages, then we took turns opening one gift at a time. Meme always started the rounds, and because I was the youngest, I went last.

I enjoyed watching as each one opened a gift, the anticipation humming in the air. The joy of the unexpected, or the sigh of release to open something from their want list, always added to the celebration, making the day merry!

Ah, the things that made us giddy as kids ... the fond memories of favorite gifts, or hand made treasures, the simple items that made us smile.

I look back on all the gifts, big and small, and realize the only thing I want for Christmas this year is good health and abundant happiness for my entire family and all of my friends!

So cheers to all. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year. May 2014 be filled with Divine blessings for all.

Hugs - Christine;
author of: Passion's Race, Sisters Of Spirit, and Mystical Connections 

  

Comments

Popular Posts