It's Halloween season so let's hear from a spooky YA paranormal author . . .

CROSSED-OUT-COVERToday's Q and A (Round 2) is with Lachesis Publishing author Kim Baccellia. Kim writes YA paranormal with a mixture of humor, sass, and spookiness. Her book Crossed Out (book 1 in a series) follows a teenage girl who can see dead people and has to get them to cross over. But an evil force is trying to stop her from doing this.
island of blue dolphinsWhat was your favorite book as a child and why?
 
ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS by Scott O’Dell had to be my all-time favorite book.  Why?  I was drawn to the story of a lone survivor set on an island.  Based on a true story, this story fascinated me about twelve-year-old Karana’s survival after the tragic loss of her people.

Who was your favorite teacher growing up and why?


Hands down my fifth and sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Clements.  She was tough but also empathic.  She’s also the teacher that encouraged my writing and told me she expected great things out of me!

When did you know you wanted to be a writer? Why?

I’ve always wanted to be a writer but it wasn’t until later that I decided to follow my own advice that I gave my first grade students on pursuing their dreams. At age 40 I went back to college and took a number of creative writing classes, including a poetry class.  I based my first book EARRINGS OF IXTUMEA on my experiences with my bilingual students and my own search for my ‘Mexican’ roots.

Who in the writing/publishing world do you admire and why?


Wow, there’s so many!  I love Malinda Lo, who has been a huge proponent for a cause I’m very passionate about—diversity in children/YA books. Diversity in YA was founded in 2011 by authors Cindy Pon and Malinda Lo. Marlene Perez who taught me that excuses are not acceptable and to seize moments with your writing. Linda Singleton who has been so supportive and encouraging of my own writing career.

coffee4Tell us about your daily writing routine – what do you typically do every day?

I homeschool my eighth grade son, so I have to schedule in writing.  Twice a week, when I drop him off at his charter student center, I go to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf off of Seventeen Street in Santa Ana, California, and write.  I grab one of their iced tea lattes. Love the atmosphere too. The other days, I schedule in my writing and just do it.  I have a Playlist from iTunes that I listen to while writing.

What is your favorite snack or guilty pleasure food that you (may or many not ;) indulge in when writing?


Mine has to be iced tea lattes, diet Dr. Pepper with lemon slices, nuts (love almonds), and of course chocolate. Dark chocolate is my favorite.

What does “writing voice” mean to you? Describe your own writing voice.


Voice sets the tone of a story. Someone once told me my voice is more ‘chick’ lit. I think I have a fun, younger voice. I also do have an edgier side that will be seen in a current project I’m revising right now.

What do you want to accomplish in the next five years in your writing career?

I hope to have a couple more books out by then. I also still plan on querying for an agent as I’d love to see my books in different countries with titles in those languages. I’d love to see one of my books translated in Italian and Spanish! I’d love to do a booksigning at ALA, and or BEA. I hope to be speaking at more conferences, including IRA-International Reading Association-on my passion on getting more books with diversity out there to children. I also hope to write a romantic historical.
Photo courtesy of http://blog.ningin.com/

Photo courtesy of http://blog.ningin.com/
Halloween is around the corner – given that you write books with spook factor – what is YOUR favourite scary book and movie of all time?
I still think CROSSED OUT is PERFECT for this season!  My character Stephanie sees dead girls and makes talismans that reflect their essences in order to help them to the Other Side. My favorite movie has to be THE RING. Not the English version but the original Japanese one. Scared the crap out of me!

Photo courtesy of Party City.com
What/who are you going as for Halloween this year?
I’m think of decorating my face up to celebrate El Dia de los Muertos, (Day of the Dead) which is a huge day in Mexico.  It’s November 1st, the day after Halloween.
Photo courtesy of Party City.com


Follow Kim Baccellia on twitter, facebook and check out her website.
Follow Lachesis Publishing on twitter and like our facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts