The right place to write by Joanna D'Angelo

Courtesy thestar.com

Courtesy thestar.com
We all have our favourite places to work, mine is at my desk during the day. Sometimes I will have music playing but usually I like nature sounds. I have a great app on my iphone that has various relaxing sounds and I will often listen to bird sounds while working. In the spring and summer I can open a window but in the winter I have my app. If I'm working at night I will usually work in bed just to be cozy and warm.

But sometimes, I love heading to one of my local coffee shops and just parking myself in a corner with a big cup of tea. Sometimes I'll be quietly typing and discretely "listening in" on conversations, other times I'll just gaze out the window or people watch. Hey, we're writers - always looking for a story right? It turns out I'm not the only one who thinks coffee shops are great for writing. A study in 2012 found that writing in a coffee shop really does help with your creativity. Evidently it has to do something with the noise factor. If there is moderate ambient noise of about 70 decibels, it is conducive to creativity. Ha! Imagine that. Here's the article from the Toronto Star about writing in coffee shops.

I guess where we choose to write depends on our moods and if we want to be around people. As writers we tend to work alone a lot and while sometimes that's a wonderful thing, other times it can get - well - lonely. So being in a public place is a nice change. But no matter where we end up - the point is to be in an environment that helps our imagination flow and helps us get the work done.
Where do you like to write?
Joanna D'Angelo is Editor in Chief at Lachesis Publishing. She loves chai tea and writing in coffee shops.
 

Comments

Popular Posts