Thursday Thirteen - 299 - 13 of my Favorite Costumes From Hal-Con 2013



A very Happy Thanksgiving to all of my American readers, my fellow Popculturedivas bloggers, my friends and my family.

This year I have so much for which to be thankful, how do I even begin? I think I'll focus on one event that was an especially wonderful one for me personally -- Hal-Con, the sci-fi, fantasy and gaming convention that takes place in Halifax, Nova Scotia here on Canada's east coast.

Last year was my first year as a Hal-Con vendor. I shared a table with sci-fi/dark fantasy erotica author Lilly Cain, and we had a great weekend meeting new-to-us readers, while watching my favorite part of all genre conventions: the continuous parade of costumes strolling by.

A few weeks ago, there I was again at Hal-Con, this time with my own booth on the main retail floor. Upstairs in the author section, my friend Shawna Romkey had her own table, and together we presented a workshop on Creating Hunky Heroes and Vile Villains on the second day of the convention.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank Shawna for inviting me to speak alongside her, as this was our first convention panel. It felt so much better to tackle a life milestone event with a friend.

Although technically I was at Hal-Con as an author -- and this year's Hal-Con gave me my best sales yet! -- my husband and I are genre fans through and through. I don't know who's having a better time, all of the weekend passholders, or us.   

Here are thirteen of my favorite costumes that either went past my author booth, or which I encountered while roaming around the convention centre. Trust me -- I had to bargain with myself over which thirteen went into this post and which were left off of it.

1 - Wolverine and Jean Grey from X-Men




2 - Princess Buttercup and The Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride




3 - Various villagers from Vikings




4 - Captain Haddock and Tintin




5 - A retro Riddler from Batman




6 - Cruella de Vil from One Hundred and One Dalmations





7 - Lando Calrissian from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi





8 - Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End




9 - Pinhead from Hellraiser




10 - Ambassador Delenn from Babylon 5




11 - Robin and Harley Quinn from Batman




12 - The TARDIS, Baby Dr. Who complete with sonic screwdriver, and a Dalek from Dr. Who




13 - Artemisia, Xerxes and Themistocles from the upcoming 300: Rise of an Empire




~~

If you went in costume to a genre convention, who would you dress up to be?


Visit my web site
Find me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Find me on Pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts