The Total Package

The Total Package by Chiron O'Keefe





Just like my heroine in Sidekicks, I have a deep appreciation for a tasty leading man. Just about everyone has celebrity crushes. I mentioned in my last post how the character, Derek Flint, played by the incomparable James Coburn, made my youthful heart go pitter-pat.

Flint, was a master of at least a hundred professions, including Russian ballet, biochemistry and surgery. Wow! While Bond relied on Q to invent suitcases with cool devices, Flint created his own nifty gadget, a gold cigarette lighter with no less than 87 functions.

Zoom to a scene from In Like Flint where he's recording dolphin sounds to create a dictionary. He takes Colonel Lloyd Cramden to his private library and comments on his attempts.

Flint: "However, we are making such scientific strides...that last year's book is already outdated."

Cramden shakes his head in disbelief. "How do you find time to read?"

Flint dismisses the colonel's astonishment and comments, "No, no. I wrote that. Already obsolete."

Suave, handsome, brilliant, ah yes, The Total Package. Yum.


The next actor to sweep my youthful heart away was the delicious Cary Grant. Cary won my heart with classic comedies like His Gal Friday, Bringing Up Baby and The Philadelphia Story. Yet he's as suave as they come.

Few can resist John Robie in the romantic thriller, To Catch a Thief.





These days there are plenty of drool-worthy guys to choose from. Johnny Depp is one.




I'd be hard-pressed to kick this bad boy out of bed!






Jason O'Mara qualifies for a definite hottie. An incredible actor, this Irish actor shows great potential for fantasy material.



Jeffrey Donovan has a definite rakish appeal. Burn Notice is one of the best spy shows ever. But are any of these mighty fine fellows worthy of the title, The Total Package?

Some would say the leading contender to compete with the ultimate leading man, Cary Grant, would have to be George Clooney.

An actor, director, and activist who is as handsome as he is debonair - Clooney certainly fits the bill. Ah, but The Total Package is a subjective choice. As much as I adore Georgie-boy, he's just not The One for me.



Then I watched an obscure drama on AMC called Mad Men.

From my first glimpse of the lead actor, Jon Hamm, my mouth began to water.


Fine, I thought, he's unbelievably handsome. A fantasy on many levels but to qualify for the ultimate title, he needs to be more. When SNL announced he'd be hosting, I couldn't resist checking it out. The result?


My laughter rocked the house. Like my beloved Cary, this actor could pull off drama and comedy with the true ease of a leading man. When I caught his guest stint on 30 Rock I knew my quest had been fulfilled. The episode titled, The Bubble, where Jon spoofed his own good looks is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

His acceptance speech at the Emmys where he ironically thanked the brilliant but underviewed Mad Men's "dozens of viewers" proved this fine fellow is sharp and witty too. Heart be still!

I hereby nominate Jon Hamm as my top pick for The Total Package. Now it's your turn to sound off. Who would you nominate and why?

For a glimpse of Jon and SNL's spoof of Don Draper, the lead in Mad Men, pour a fresh cup of coffee and take five minutes to savor Don Draper's Guide to Picking Up Women.





Smiles to you all!
Chiron O'Keefe

Journeys of self-discovery in both women’s fiction and psychic suspense.

As a toddler, Chiron O’Keefe knew exactly who she wanted to be—Casper the Friendly Ghost. Finding out such an option wasn't available to the living, she focused instead on creating a life filled with giggles and all things otherworldly. Her books reflect her passion for both the light and the dark. Whimsical stories with a touch of romance and shadowy tales that explore the hidden realms of the psyche. Her inspiration springs from a diverse background as a professional astrologer, singer-songwriter and comedy improvisational performer. Avoiding the glare of the spotlight, she now dances on an inner stage, where dreams come to life.


In addition to her novels, Chiron also pens motivational essays for writers, posted weekly on her blog, The Write Soul. When asked about her unusual name, she responded, “The name stems from Greek mythology, and very few people pronounce it correctly the first time. Phonetically, it’s Ky-ron. Don’t worry if you stumble, even my “Chiro-practor” gets it wrong!”

Find me on Facebook and Twitter under ChironOkeefe!

Holy Aphrodite, Megan Reed has finally made it! Her book's soaring up the NYT's bestseller list. There's only one hitch. With the greatest accolade of her writing career comes an even greater responsibility - hiding her true identity: a wannabe love goddess who couldn't find a leading man if he leapt out of the pages of her own How-To Guide.

Two men step into the spotlight, making her head spin. Between dodging the nosy media, and searching her own heart, Megan discovers not only who she is, but also the real meaning of the term 'Leading Man'.

Stardom isn't all it's cracked up to be........when you're hiding the real you.


SIDEKICKS, October 2009, Eirelander Publishing.

Comments

  1. Fun post, Chiron! I love a Total Package kind of guy, too. In addition to those you named, I'd add Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr. Can't beat smart and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Chiron!

    I agree with you - there is something about the Total Package - and a sense of humour is definitely up there - I loved Jon Hamm on SNL and 30 Rock as well! And Johnny Depp has proven time and again he is The One by his movie role choices - he tends to play strange characters rather than heroes but that makes us love him all the more. As for George Clooney - he's definitely up there for me! I mean he is a great actor, looks good, makes fun of himself, is a devoted activist (not because it's popular but because he's committed) and he slaved away in the mines of TV - remember he appeared on Facts of Life, Golden Girls and Roseanne. Also he came back for the finale season of ER which means he didn't allow his stardom to get in the way. Go Georgie-boy go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that Cate! Definitely Hugh Jackman and Robert Downey Jr.! they are all of those things and more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the whole list and adding Mr. Downey Jr. and definitely Hugh Jackman (wiping droll from chin)

    Excellent post, Chiron. Great fun to read.

    Liena Ferror
    www.lienaferror.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on Johnny Depp and George Clooney all the way...my list is quite different from yours but fairly long too: Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, Robert Downey Jr., Craig Ferguson, Gabriel Byrne, James McAvoy, Gerard Butler, Antonio Banderas and Vincent Perez for starters. Thanks for making me smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert Redford, definitely. I love George Clooney, he's a total package for me. And Hugh Jackman is one in a million. Did anyone see Jon Stewart's interview with him? Wow, he's adorable.

    I'm also a fan of John Cusack. Cute, funny and those eyes...I-yi-yi...

    Thanks for letting us share, Chiron!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, I don't look at guys like lots of women do...while dh is good-looking, that's just a plus to his personality. So for me to give a guy the total package thumbs up...I'm gonna have to meet him! **winks**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Chiron, a fun read. I can relate to James Coburn and Cary. But those two young guys are the TOTAL package - Jon Hamm and Jeffrey Donovan - and their shows are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cate!

    Ah, yes, Robert Downey Jr and the unbelievably talented Hugh Jackman. Did anyone catch the Barbara Walters clip where he did a lap dance? *drool* I only caught part of it on Colbert.

    Great libidos think alike!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joanna!

    Yup, I've been a Johnny Depp fan from way back. Remember Benny and Joon? I loved that sweet and wacky movie. What a love!

    And yes, Georgie boy is one who stands out. The mines of TV! Cute!!

    I do think The Total Package is subjective so it's wonderful to hear what others have to say.

    George can pour the champagne while Johnny Depp plays blues on his vintage guitar and Hugh Jackman does a sexy dance. *wink*

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Liena!

    We all seem to have a soft spot for Robert and Hugh, and with good reason!

    Thanks for jumping in, my dear!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Scully!

    Great list! I like them all. *smile: Ah, but Antonio is one I truly have a soft spot for. Not only is he yummy as hell, he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

    Who wouldn't want a cuddle session with him? *grin*

    Thanks so much for adding your list!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, Misty!

    Oooh, Robert Redford. I can watch The Sting a million times over JUST to see that sweet smile. An incredible actor, a true gentleman, and handsome as they come. Good call!

    I loved Hugh on The Daily Show! (The weather calls for extreme handsomeness. *grin*)

    John Cusack is really adorable, isn't he? Plus he has that 'every-guy' quality that is so believable. You truly can imagine running into him at a coffeehouse, laughing when your orders get mixed up, then sharing a table which leads to talking for hours. And then... *cue music*

    *grin*

    Thanks for stopping by, Misty!!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tessy!

    I hear that. In fact, even with all the fun I had sorting through my fantasies, yesterday the shower handle broke and there I am pounding on the wall and calling out DH's name. *laughs*

    He comes in, sizes up the issue, and then with his strong hands and reassuring smile, he brought in some make-shift tools and took care of everything. Now, THAT'S The Total Package. *grin*

    However, Clooney can still pour the champagne while Johnny Depp and I play guitar. *grin*

    Hopefully, Jon Hamm enjoys music as much as comedy. *wink*

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello J!

    Sounds like we have similar tastes. Burn Notice.... Oh, Yum!!

    Yup, Jeffrey and Jon. Hey! We can double-date!!

    *heh-heh*

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chiron,

    I agree with all of the above, but I do have to add some more. In the older actor category, I add Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart and Paul Newman.

    In the younger group, I'll add David Borneauz (probably misspelled that name)from Bones. If you saw the episode on the 21st of April, it was hilarious. I laughed out loud.

    Great post, Chiron. I'm sure there are a lot more, but I can't think of them right now. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Sandy!

    Yes, definitely worthy additions to the list. I remember David from the show 'Angel' and he definitely is a cutie.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute post, Chiron;) My personal faves include Clive Owen, Josh Lucas, and for nostalgia's sake, Jimmy Stewart and definitely Cary Grant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanking 'dozens of viewers' is freakin' hilarious!!

    My Total Package would definitely go to Hugh Jackman - I love nothing like a true triple threat. But my heart will never stray from Gerard Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so hard to choose but I have to say my first favorite is Michael Weatherly from NCIS, he's funny, cute and I adore him. (OK I'm gushing) lol

    I too like old actors, I love Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. Cary Grant is on top of my list with movies like An Affair to Remember and Arsenic and Old Lace just to name a few.

    Hugh Jackman, George Clooney, Clive Owen... Ah... I could go on but I'll end here.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found the link here from RWA, I enjoyed your post. I find it to hard to pick just one... kind of like the potato chip.. give me a handful please... of those total packages. lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lol Chiron, lovely post!

    Jon Hamm, Gerard Butler, Paul Newman, Pierce Brosnan, Hugh Jackman - They're the total package guys for me.

    I have a soft spot for Jason Statham too. The tough guy who also shows a softer side with the woman he loves and his child in his movies. There's that image of him in Death Race, a movie as violent and hard as they come, where he is holding his toddler daughter in his arms. I melt every time I see that. He's also handsome but looks 'normal' too, approachable - he's balding but doesn't care, and that just adds to the strong man he appears to be. Caught one of his interviews one day and he's also a simple guy, one of the lads, as we say.

    Hugs

    Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Maria!

    Ah yes, Clive Owen. Now he would have made a fantastic James Bond. Not that Daniel Craig isn't perfect! But Clive... Mmmmh...

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julia!

    It really is funny, isn't it? *snort*

    Hugh is a real favorite (still thinking of that lap dance on Babs' show) and Gerard Butler! Great call.

    Thanks so much for jumping in!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Angelique!

    You picked some great ones. And of course, Paul Newman (who's been mentioned more than once) was an incredible actor and sweet guy.

    Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my all-time favorite movies. What a hoot Cary was in that!! *chuckle*

    Thanks so much for your comments!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey there Metonia,

    Boy do I relate. *laughs* This is why I had to name so many!! There are some prime choices these days. Always a good thing!

    Thanks for visiting! I'm so glad you jumped in...

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there Zaynah!

    Jason does sound sweet. I know the Hugh Jackman interview on The Daily Show, where he mentions some funny antics with his son, just added to his appeal. As you said, he's 'one of the lads'.

    Thanks for adding your top picks!

    Smiles,
    Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  29. Learn the EXACT steps to

    ApproachWomenEasily.com

    Approach Women Easily
    and Get A Womans Phone Number And Date Today!

    Visit

    http://approachwomeneasily.com

    and start approaching women easily !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts