I am the walrus! Tim Burton and Johnny Depp Work Their Magic Again

by Cate Masters

The time has come, the walrus said, to talk of many things.
And, as noted above, I am the walrus. A very excited walrus! Koo koo kachoo!

Sorry if that’s an alarming visual, but alarming visuals are part of today’s topic.

Magical combinations. Is there a certain combination of people that makes your heart beat faster? Two people that, on their own, do great work, but when combined, you know the result is going to be like fireworks above a crazy roller coaster ride?
When I read in Wired that Tim Burton was directing Alice in Wonderland, I raced ahead to read, and yes! Johnny Depp. As the Mad Hatter – what fun! I can’t wait to travel Through the Looking Glass with those two.

Slated for release in March of next year, Alice in Wonderland promises to be one of those magical experiences. It’s generating some buzz already, from set design to contrasting the fashions of Alice of Old with the latest version. I love LA Weekly’s Gendy Alimurung’s description of the set: “The concept art for the world of Wonderland is just spectacular. It owes a lot to Mark Ryden. It's his jewel-toned, cool pastel, chiaroscuro color palette to a tee. Innocent with a hint of darkness, and a soupcon of psycho.”


The rest of the cast is equally stunning. Helena Bonham-Carter as The Red Queen, Matt Lucas as both Tweedledee and Tweedledum, an eerily gorgeous Anne Hathaway as The White Queen, and the White Rabbit, as imagined by Tim Burton, as the White Rabbit, with Michael Sheen providing the voice.
Who will play Alice, you ask? Teenage Aussie Mia Wasikowska, a relative unknown. She may have been off the radar before, but now she won’t escape the spotlight.

Would Lewis Carroll approve? Oh, I bet he and Tim Burton would get along really well. Though some of Tim’s art goes beyond visually arresting.
And if the news about Alice isn’t enough to send your pulse racing, rumors are a-swirl about Burton’s next project, a remake of Dark Shadows. Will Johnny Depp play Barnabus Collins? Yes, according to the Charlotte Observer. Now there's a vampire I'd invite in...

So what combination of dynamic duos does it for you? What two people make your heart leap with joy?

Cate Masters’ novels, novellas, short stories and flash fiction are published with various epresses and webzines. Visit her online at www.catemasters.com, www.catemasters.blogspot.com or follow her on Facebook or on Twitter.

Going with Gravity now available from the Wild Rose Press!

Comments

  1. Wow...this site is great! I found it on Blog Explosion. I'm waiting for my celebrity blog to be approved. Check it out sometime if you'd like...

    www.inthespotlight1.blogspot.com

    And I will definitely be following this one! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I feel as if I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Tim Burton movies. I was actually excited about the Dark Shadows remake, until I heard that Time Burton was helming it.

    This Alice in Wonderland looks visually amazing, from the photos here, but I probably won't be watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post Cate! I'm soooo excited about Tim Burton's upcoming flicks too - Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows - gleefully awaiting both! And the fearless Johnny Depp - who never shies away from playing such outrageous characters and makes us forget that there's a gorgeous man underneath all of that make-up! Well, not forget exactly- but you get my drift - his talent and ability to transform himself transcends his good looks - not all actors have the guts to do that. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait! I had heard this was coming, but I hadn't seen these images. Gorgeous, lush with just a hint of darkness. I've been eagerly waiting for Dark Shadows because Johnny Depp as a vampire...well, that's all that needs to be said...but now I'm also looking forward to Alice. The casting looks brilliant and I'm a long time fan of both Depp and Burton. Thanks for this beautiful blog, Cate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the mad hatter poster at our local theater when i went to the midnight showing of the new Harry Potter. definitely looking forward to this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brittany! Yes, we divas rock! :) Thanks for stopping by, and hope to see you again!
    Hey Jennifer, no worries, Tim/Johnny aren't for everyone. Do you have another favorite creative combo?
    Joanna, I love that about Johnny too. He can go from yummy to weird but he's having such a great time, you can't help but want to go along.
    Thanks Barbara! Dark Shadows will definitely be interesting. I was a fan way back when, but Johnny's sure to give Barnabus a new spin.
    Hi Jeana! Wow, they're promoting it with posters already? Looking forward to those trailers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Tim Burton and Johnny Depp combo is shivery goodness!

    Hmm...what other combos do I dream about?

    How about Hugh Jackman and Rodgers & Hammerstein?

    Director Zack Snyder and graphic novels?

    Or Quentin Tarantino and a new film soundtrack?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so can't wait for this! I love a good Burton/Depp project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! There is nothing Johnny Depp can't do. Count me in for this. And count me in for Dark Shadows too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all about Johnny, it's just when he's with Tim that I'm not the biggest fan. For dark directors, I'd much rather go with David Lynch.

    I'm trying to think if there are any creative combos that I love. David Lynch/Isabella Rossellini were a great creative match. And she is one of Hollywood's great beauties.

    John Cusack and Jeremy Piven were awesome together when they were still friends.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Julia - shivery goodness. Well put! I wished I could have seen Hugh in his Broadway show (blanking on the name, arrrggh).
    Yep, Kathryn - not just one but two! Double the fun.
    I'm with you, Arianna. Hope they bring it to the local Imax - wouldn't that be stunning.
    David Lynch is great. Wish he'd do more. Ditto Isabella Rossellini. I didn't realize Jeremy Piven and John Cusack had a falling out. I loved them in Serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cate - do not deprive yourself of this production:

    Oklahoma!

    Catch a clip on YouTube:

    Oh What a Beautiful Morning

    ReplyDelete
  13. *sigh* is there nothing this man can't do? Such a gorgeous voice. And everything else!
    The show was the Boy from Oz! It was driving me crazy. Check out the hip action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zU2IcVzbc

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really looking forward to both movies! Thanks for the sneek peek. Though I will admit, it's Dark Shadows that I'm most keen on seeing. Yes! Johnny as a Vamp?? Heart be still.

    When I was a kid, watching old black & white movies on my family television, my favorite duo was (don't laugh) Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. Their "Road to..." movies just had me in stitches.

    Apparently, much of the dialogue ended up being improvised since those two loved to just try and crack each other up. Dorothy Lamour said she'd be absolutely stumped trying to figure out when she could insert her line when the boys went completely offscript. *laughs*

    Great post! Loved it.

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Chiron, I loved the old Road movies too. I recently bought The Road to Morocco. I can't remember if that's the one with the talking camel, but I'm sure they were way ahead with special effects for their time on that one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts