October's Thrills, Chills and Creepy Destinations on the Small Screen


by Rae Lori


The weather is getting cooler now and by cooler I mean it's not a blazing three digit temp here in the desert! I'm missing the hot swim temps but, as time zooms by, fall is inevitable. Bring on the soup, hot tea and warm blankets!

I'm not into Halloween but I'm a huge fan of the paranormal genre. Every year I look forward to October because paranormals will be spotlighted in books, movies and, most of all, television. So being a nostalgic TV junkie, I'm jazzed to welcome another October and look forward to all the paranormal spotlights around the small screen from old classics, to recent favorites. Larissa's Monday blog about vampire television made me sigh with much nostalgia as I remembered and very much enjoyed a lot of what was on her list. Thankfully most are on DVD so I can revisit some goodies all month. I'm even thinking of going old school with my reading pile (actually, it's now a tower) as I'm thinking of re-reading Stoker's Dracula, Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and maybe a few Harlequin Nocturnes just to make things interesting. I highly treasure my vampire themed anthology The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories (which I highly suggest for any vampire enthusiast looking to capture some fanged favorites throughout lit history).

Since we're early into the month, I'm not quite sure if I'll see some old paranormal themed TV favorites like Bravo's Countdown to the Scariest Moments in Movie History. Or The Travel Channel's Haunted Travel series which includes Weird Travels, Creepy Destinations and Mysterious Journeys. The shows feature many stories of paranormal happenings which I will happily watch from the safety of behind my television! One story in particular featured the creepy doll Robert which has been rumored to wander and leave tiny footprints in the museums he's lived.

As an author, the stories behind the haunts amuse me to no end because they're always embedded in history. For instance, the Top 10 Creepiest Destinations feature everything from the Bermuda Triangle to Haunted Hollywood Hotels to Haunted Gettysburg and even Roswell to name a few. Each place has a story and the occupants and workers are eager to tell their own personal stories. Great fodder for creating a story atmosphere and an eerie paranormal world I think!

On the flip side, some of these specials are just plain entertaining to see. I always looked forward to old favorites like Tod Browning's Dracula which will always have a special place in my vampire loving heart and new favorites I haven't discovered yet.

Some networks feature specials all month long.

For instance:


TCM



For my fellow fans of old classic horror films, TCM is the go to channel for the month of October. Not only are they featuring Thrillers every Friday this month, we'll also get a high style 1932 international import (Danish director Carl-Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr). Also movies featuring Psychic Powers, Silent Movie Sundays (featuring Nosferatu & the 1925 feature Phantom of the Opera) an 10/30 marathon for character creature movie actor Boris Karloff and an all day marathon for Halloween day.


The Chiller Channel



For kitschy horror movies, cancelled yet still good tv series and some trippy anime imports, Chiller is THE channel for horror, paranormals, the occasional sci-fi and dark fantasy. Consider this your all year round H-ween fix as each day features a morning to early afternoon marathon of favorite tv shows from Wolf Lake, Twin Peaks, Freakylinks, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, Beauty and the Beast and more. The Chiller Channel is also owned by NBC Universal like the Sci-Fi, er SyFy(lis) channel so you'll see a lot of the same shows and layout between the two. After all, how can you not like a channel that features a movie merging kick boxing and vampires together?



I'm hoping more pop up as October unfolds. If not, there's always DVDs to fall back on, Hulu.com for online streams and the old DVR.

Pics Courtesty TCM, Travel Channel & Chiller Websites



How about you guys? Do you have any favorite shows, books and/or movies you love to watch every year around this time?


Rae writes in multiple genres including science fiction, fantasy, romance and suspense, sometimes all meshed together in one story. Currently she is at work writing short speculative stories as a break from her larger works. Recently she has contributed to the world-building chapter for the upcoming The Complete Guide to Writing Paranormal, to be released this fall from Dragon Moon Press and is gearing up for the release of her futuristic A Feast of Shadows from Eirelander Publishing in March 2010.

Check out more of her work at her website where you can sign up for her newsletter, check out her blog and see what’s coming up for new releases and free reads.

Comments

  1. Nice post!

    I love this season. The creepy, the crisp weather. It motivates me to write more.

    But a favorite movie for this time of year? (Don't think I'm a dork, okay?)

    The Corpse Bride

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this has been spook week at the diva! LOL - I always look forward to the spook fests on TV at this time of year. They always run old Vincent Price movies which I love. The fall heralds the return of The Shining, The Exorcist and those great '70s horror films - they play almost every weekend! I loved Twin Peaks - the original mini-series. So that's a treat too! Oddly enough there's something comforting about watching these scary movies and TV shows that we're so familiar with - it's fall - we're cuddling under blankets and drinking hot beverages and just gearing up for the winter - so these movies I guess are a nice transition? LOL who knows! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to creep myself out by reading regional ghost stories and mysteries of my home state (Brown Mountain Lights, anyone?). When I can find it, I also like to catch some old Twilight Zones, the original episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandi! Hey, we welcome fellow geek girls here so you're with friends! :-D I still have to catch up on The Corpse Bride. I'm so behind I just recently saw Edward Scissorhands and have yet to see The Nightmare Before Christmas!! Maybe now is a good time to track it down, I think. :-) Thanks for popping by!

    Joanna, that's true! I love the themes this week. :-D That scenario sounds awesome and I so agree about the scary movies and especially Twin Peaks! A classic right there. I guess the change isn't so bad after all when you put it that way. ;-)

    Sewicked, that sounds awesome! I love me some old Twilight Zones as well. SF channel had a (too) short marathon today to celebrate the 50th anniversary and I wish it was all day! Hopefully there will be more coming up. I'm certainly looking forward to all the themed shows later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl

    Love me some good paranormals too, and I'd really try to watch the Gary Oldman Dracula this month. Loved that movie, and on another note, wouldn't mind some rerun of Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman.

    Horror, not my thing, but paranormals rock!

    Hugs

    Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a vampire gal, so Halloween paranormal time is definitely gold. I'm also more of a spooky film lover, so Tim Burton's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a fave of mine. Not to mention Sweeney Todd! Adore that one.

    Did you ever see the 1977 British TV version of Dracula - called Count Dracula? It stars Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay. It's my favorite.

    I'm also a Twin Peaks lover. You might enjoy a Danish series by Lars von Trier from the 90's called The Kingdom (Riget in Danish) about a haunted hospital. It's very, very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that Chiller channel sounds amazing. I might have to kick Charter's butt and see if they'll add it. God knows we could ditch a sports channel and make room.

    I've always been a lover of the paranormal. As a kid I played with the Ouija board, held seances and even helped create a Haunted House (we were VERY popular). And for early monster movie fans, you're right the novels by Bram Stoker and Mary Shelley were awesome.

    TCM rocks! I'll have to go on their website and see what's coming up.

    Happy October!!

    --Chiron O'Keefe
    The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts