Dragons Need Love Too

By Sara Taney Humphreys

This week I took my boys to see the latest 3D adventure, "How to Train Your Dragon". I have to admit that I wasn't all that jazzed to go see it. I went as a favor to them. Dragons have never really intrigued me all that much. They have never seemed cute and huggable. To me they've always seemed scary, uncontrollable and maybe on their best day...regal.




The dragon movies that come to mind are "Dragonheart"--which has a very regal dragon with a sexy accent. (Sean Connery is sexy even as a dragon.) The dragon in this film is depicted as the noble and misunderstood beast with a generous heart.




The scariest dragon movie I've seen, one where the beasts are depicted as brutal monsters, is "Reign of Fire". In this film the dragons are depicted as hell on earth. No warm and fuzzies in this one.





Well, leave it to the animation wizards to create a positively lovable and huggable dragon. Not too long after the film starts, Toothless the dragon resembles a black Labrador puppy with wings. This movie is sweet, smart and sends a great message. I loved it and so did my boys. The relationship between the boy and his dragon is priceless. I even got a bit choked up at the end. A lovely film about love, finding your place in the world and doing what is right...even when it's really hard.








Comments

  1. love Dragonheart and Reign of Fire is of course made all the better by Mr. G. Butler! albeit a smaller role. Fun post - I have to see How to Train Your Dragon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Reign of Fire and Dragonheart both. I can't wait to see How To Train Your Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is on my list for the long weekend - can't wait to hear Gerry's voice work for the dad character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see that movie. It looks so uplifting!

    --Chiron O'Keefe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts