Always A Bride

by Michelle Miles

June is typically the month of weddings. What little girl didn’t want to be a June Bride when growing up? I love weddings and I find myself in the midst of planning one myself (but for December). The problem with being a June bride in Texas is that it’s so blasted hot, you practically burst into flame walking down the aisle. Especially if it’s outside.


So, to stay cool during these wretched summer months, I’ve put together a list of bride movies you can enjoy well into July (even if you were never a June bride!).

I only recently found out TCM ran a Bride Movie Marathon which old classics such as The Bride Goes Wild (1948), They All Kissed The Bride (1942), and—of course—June Bride (1948). I hate I missed that. I would have loved to see all the 1940s bride movies. But no matter. I can still fire up the DVD player and feed my bride need by watching a few of the following. Here are some of my favorite bride movies.

27 Dresses. Jane is secretly in love with her boss and can’t say no to her friends when they want her to be in their wedding. I think the best part of this movie is when she tries on every single dress for Kevin. And then at the end…oh…SHH. I won’t give it away. Just watch it. It’s a cute little movie.

Father of the Bride. I’m talking about the remake with Steve Martin and Diane Keaton. I think one of my favorite scenes in that is when Martin Short comes to their house for the first time to plan the reception, he waves his hand around and says, “It’s all lovely! We’ll change everything.” And then Brian gives Annie a blender as a wedding present and the entire wedding is in jeopardy. Lots of funny moments in this movie. Definitely on my keeper shelf.


The Princess Bride. A total classic! So many favorite quotes from this movie, I don’t even know where to begin but since I’m talking about brides and marriage, let’s go right to the bishop one: “Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...”

And there are tons more but I don’t have that kind of time. So tell me – what are YOUR favorite bride movies?



Michelle Miles writes romance and believes in Happily Ever After. You can find out more about her books by visiting her website at http://www.michellemiles.net/.

Comments

  1. “Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday."

    ROFL!

    Great list of bride films - I also love My Best Friend's Wedding with Julia Roberts - especially the GREAT opening credits sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, gotta disagree - the original Father of the Bride is far superior. Also, the Wedding Date is great, as is My Best Friends Wedding and The Princess Bride. Does Seven Brides for Seven Brothers count??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved all these, Michelle. And My Best Friend's Wedding, Julia, great addition. I'd add Runaway Bride. Julia Roberts and Richard Gere complement each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks Michelle! Princess Bride is one of my faves - have watched it a gazillion times! Also really like the Father of the Bride flicks but also the originals were well done. And despite the fact that I find Katherine Heigl kind of annoying - I actually thought she was sweet in this movie. cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts