RWA NATIONALS

by Leeann Burke

Well it was another great RWA Nationals. I had feared there would be many oops moments since they changed the location from Nashville (due to the flood) to Orlando, but we had none. At least I didn’t see them. My roommates and I arrived in Orlando on the Monday night, went to Universal and tried the Harry Potter ride. It was great, but I’m not sure it was worth the 2 hour-wait.

I volunteered once more during the Literacy signing. I was the water girl! I ran around making sure our authors were kept refreshed with tons of water. There were tons of fans waiting in line to see Debbie Macomber, Nora Roberts, Sherrilyn Kenyon and many more authors. I volunteer for this event every year and enjoy it tremendously. I can’t wait to volunteer for it next year. We raised over $55,000 for literacy groups in Nashville and Orlando, but the best part is that the books that didn’t sell were donated to libraries in Florida. Most libraries in the US have had their budgets gutted (some by more than 75%) so these books will be well loved by many librarians.

As for the conference, I spent a lot of time meeting up with old friends, making new ones and learning tons. What did I learn the most? Well the best lesson I got was from Nora Roberts’s luncheon speech. "nothing worth a damn comes easy." Boy is she right. If it came easy it might not be worth the journey.

I am already making plans for RWA Nationals 2011 in NY. I hope to see some of you there.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the RWA update Leeann! I hope I can go next year! Sounds like a great time was had by all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed Nationals this year. Sounds like it was fabulous. Leave it to Nora to get right to the point. I'm definitely planning on NYC for 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts