A Funny Thing Happened on The Way to My Dream…..

by Nana Malone




Eleven years ago after reading Bridget Jones’s Diary, I lost my damn mind. Or so everyone told me. I decided I could do that - Put funny words to paper and have people pay me for it. When I told my family, they thought something must have been lost in translation. Oddly, “writer” sounded nothing like Engineer, Doctor or Lawyer. For a young girl from a strict Ghanaian family, writing as a profession wasn’t even an option. It was a hobby at best.

Armed with my laptop and a dream with not a lick of experience, plot, or character development in sight, I started with my first scene. Apparently that’s how these book things start...with a scene. Since then I’ve learned a little something. Or at least I hope have, for won't it be a shame if after the endless worshops on conflict, motivation and goal, plotting with mythic structure, plotting by motivation, character development, I still didn’t get it “write."

It may have taken me a little longer than I thought, but I finally got here. Who knew I wouldn’t write the book in month, sell it the next month and become a NYT bestseller overnight? Please refer to afore mentioned lost mind. Luckily I found some amazing writers over time that mentored me, critiqued for me, sent me mental Godiva to keep my muse going, and sent me mental hugs for every rejection. I must say, that was a lot of hugging.

Alright, so admittedly I was a little naïve. I was one of those people. You know the ones who think that writing romance is easy. I mean all I had to do was craft a lovable heroine, a sexy hero, a page-turning plot. How hard could that be? I didn’t know the hours I would give up because I couldn’t afford not to write, because my characters wouldn’t leave me alone until I told their stories.

And now that the big day is here, there’s elation and excitement, then there are the nerves and the fear. It’s like starting a new school praying somebody eats lunch with me. Then of course comes the realization that I wrote a romance…a hot romance…a hot romance that my mother in law and co-workers will read. *blush* `

Funny thing is, I’ve had more than one person ask me if I think I’ll write another one - Clearly, non writers. My answer, "Hell yes!" I’ve got the bug. It’s the hardest job I’ve ever had. It’s demanding. It’s broken my heart. But seeing Game, Set, Match on Amazon, there’s no way I could not do this as again. It’s too addictive.

Blurb for Game, Set, Match

Off the court, tennis star Jason Cartwright’s playboy image is taking a public beating. On the court, he’s down forty-love. A knee injury is shutting down his game, and the paparazzi are splashing his love life on every magazine. A comeback is in order, but the makeover he needs to save his faltering career is in the hands of the woman he loved and left fifteen years ago.

While single-mom, Izzy Connors, sees people for who they really are through the lens of her camera, even without it, she knows Jason isn’t the star he appears to be. Although his charm and good looks haven’t dimmed since he broke her heart, all she sees is his wasted talent and playboy lifestyle.

Can Izzy put the past behind her and help Jason get his game, and his image, back on track? Or will the click of her camera shatter his world as well as his heart?

Images courtesy of Google images

Comments

  1. LOL! What a GREAT post! Best of luck to you. I know you're going to do well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maeve! From your lips to God, Allah, Buddah, Divine earth mother's ears. I'm willing to take all the good wishes I can muster.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand fighting for a dream all too well. You think you're ready to go and your story is awesome. You put it out there then the system smacks you down. But this is what makes you strong and more determined. You have a cry and then you get back up, dust yourself off, and fight even harder. Just keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your dream is alive and well, Nana! Just took a few detours, which happens to most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *sigh* it was I was reading my own thoughts. Yup. I decided I was going to write, although my 'lightbulb moment' was different to yours, the result was the same. I dove in, thinking it couldn't be that hard. HAHA
    It may be a challenge, but my god it's a rewarding one. Right?

    Congrats on your release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. last few days our group held a similar talk on this subject and you show something we haven't covered yet, thanks.

    - Kris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts