REALLY TV? OUTRAGEOUS SHOWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

by Joanna D'Angelo

I'm currently researching an idea for a lifestyle/reality TV show (a very cool idea that my producer came up with).

Anyway the first step is to find out what is already out there - so we're not duplicating anything.

It's quite embarrassing to pitch a show to a broadcaster that is already on their network!

So my research takes me around the world (virtually). I always check out what's on in Canada and the U.S. first then I cross the Atlantic and see what the UK is up to. I also regularly peruse broadcaster web sites in Australia and NZ as well.

The UK has come up with some hit shows over the years that have made their way over to N.A. But there are some shows that I think are so uniquely British that I don't think they'd ever be re-made here - er - how about Britain's Worst Teeth? 

And then there are the sex shows - here's one -  I Can't Stop Masturbating
This is actually a doc - part of a reality/doc series - known as "shock docs".

Here's the write-up:
95% of men admit to masturbating. But some men masturbate more than others. "I Can't Stop Masturbating" follows two men as they try to break an addiction that is destroying their lives.




Here is a list of some of the other shows I saw listed on the REALLY network in the UK:
CAN FAT TEENS HUNT?
BRITAIN'S MISSING TOP MODEL
FARM OF FUSSY EATERS
SEX WITH MUM AND DAD
SPA OF EMBARRASSING ILLNESSES
HOUSE OF TINY TEARAWAYS
HITCHED OR DITCHED
BABY BORROWERS
SNOG, MARRY, AVOID (this one is actually from the BBC)

Researching these programmes is fun but I can't help but wonder at just how far producers and broadcasters will go in their quest for documenting "reality".

Comments

  1. And here I thought I was such a fan of British reality shows - lol! Obviously, only a select few make it over to N.A.

    Seriously, tho, my favorites are the Andrew Lloyd Webber performance theater competitions - much more interesting to me than American Idol.

    Wishing you the best on your pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy:

    Thanks so much - some of the shows are very well done but some are quite kooky and outrageous - and it's the outrageous shows that get the most attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay..Sex with Mum and Dad??!!! Lordy lordy. These shows are nuts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara - i know - CRAZY-SOUNDING shows. I think that one is about couples that have trouble in the bedroom after they have kids - or something like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post and amazing. I can't believe the shows. And people watch them? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara - I am always astounded at what people will watch - it seems like the lowest common denominator keeps getting lower and lower! :)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam - it's hilarious and odd isn't it? The guys addicted to masturbating? Who would admit to that let alone allow cameras into their lives to document it?

    Glad I gave you a chuckle though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! Talk about...shocking! Whew. I think I need a cigarette after reading that post...and I don't smoke! :-)

    Joanna, now we all know how you spend your spare time. Fun research, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes!!

    I don't know whether to roll around laughing or hide my eyes. *grin*

    Too crazy for belief. Great post, JoJo!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts