Countdown: 5 Things that get me in the Christmas spirit…

by Angela Guillaume



5. Sparkly things
There’s nothing that spells “holiday spirit” more than streets filled with bright lights and twinkling decorations. Green, red, silver, gold, everywhere, flickering to the tunes of John Lennon, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Jose Feliciano, and Mariah Carey. Here in Malta you don’t have to go to a mall, just walk the streets of the old capital Valletta under glittering canopies of bells, snowflakes and hollies, as well as decorated trees. All that’s missing is the snow.

4. Watching romance movies.
One of my absolute favorites is Serendipity with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsdale. Actually, it is my absolute favorite Christmas movie. A romance that starts at Christmas cannot but end well – although it was a winding road to get there for this pair. Thinking of this film has reminded me – it’s high time that I watched it again!


3. New York City
There’s just something about New York City, isn’t there? Serendipity starts at Bloomingdale’s on 59th Street. It’s cold outside. When I think of Christmas in New York, I think of snow, skating at Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park, New Years Eve at Times Square, beautifully window-dressed stores, and the winter charm of Manhattan. Lots to do in NYC in the holiday season. Am I living in a fantasy world? Is it just too cold and dismal in reality? Perhaps, but that’s not how I imagine it. I think it’s no wonder this city is considered the capital city and urban center of the world. Frank Sinatra did say it, after all.

2. Mulled wine and lots of eating
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and spice – the flavors of Christmas wafting from a warm cup of mulled wine. Of course, it could be egg nog – or something that warms you all over and makes you feel all relaxed and “ooh la la” inside. Then, of course, there’s the food. That delicious, dratted stuff that drives you to make a resolution to shed pounds in the New Year, a promise that you rarely keep. It’s all worth it, though, isn’t it? It’s just a matter of being a little careful and the damage will be minimal.

1. Fun times with family and friends
This is the time of year when my family and I get lots of invites for parties or meals. We get to spend lots of quality time with friends and family. Usually I like to host such a party – a pretty big one where the people that mean a lot to me are gathered in one space. This year, however, we’re giving it a miss. I need a break!

As I near my 40th birthday in a couple of days, I see things in a different perspective. It’s not about the presents or the parties or the shopping. It’s not about the argument of whether to call it “Christmas” or “holiday”. It’s about whatever makes you who you are. We should all be able to express ourselves freely while not only keeping an open mind and respecting the beliefs of others – but also recognizing them. It’s about spending time with people you love. Whatever faith or religion is close to your heart, whatever day or period in the year is important to you – I hope that you make it special, that you take the opportunity to show those nearest you how much they mean to you. And hey, when it comes to this form of expression, we should feel the holiday spirit all year round!

Merry Christmas to all! And may 2011 bring you roses...

~ Angela Guillaume ~
Author of Romantic Fiction.
No formulas. No rules. Just love.
Facebook: Angela Guillaume
"Mile High to Heaven"--Go the extra mile for love--Contemporary short.
"Mr. & Mrs. Foster"--A toasty warm holiday tale
Both books can be purchased from: Whiskey Creek Press Torrid

Comments

  1. Merry Christmas to you too, Angela, and to all the Divas and readers here!

    I get in the Christmas mood when I see all the decorations and displays in the commercial centres here. And uh, yes, I'm a goner for Christmas sales and deals. :) Not much for hearing carols or Christmas songs here, but we do get the movies. Christmas is the time of BBQ gatherings here in Mauritius, lol.

    And I absolutely love Serendipity! Reminds me I have to go see it again too...

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela I always love your posts!!!

    What a great list.

    And Happy 40th!! You're going to make it rock - i just know it.

    Happy Christmas as well - so glad things are well.

    Take care,
    jojo

    ReplyDelete
  3. tyceuelaw mcm 長財布 mcm,mcm リュック,mcm 財布,mcm バッグ,mcm 長財布 byrzhgtpr http://www.mcmwebjp.com/
    nuxafwqdd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts