It's Groundhog Day!

By Sarah Taney Humphreys

It's Groundhog Day! That one day a year when grown men and women in this great land of ours wait to see what a large rodent has to say about the arrival of spring. This year was no different. Crowds descended on Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney, PA to hear what the furry little bugger had to say. After the brutal winter we've had, everyone has been hoping he wouldn't see his shadow and that an early spring was coming. Luckily that was indeed the case. No shadow= Early spring! Hooray! Like many parents, I am home today with my children....again. Snowday! Okay. I love a good snowday but this is ridiculous. It's starting to feel like the movie "Groundhog Day" when that guy keeps living the same day over and over and over. Poor Bill Murray. How many times do you think people approach him and scream, "IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY!". I bet every February 2nd he hibernates in his house like that poor little rodent Punxsutawney Phil. In the movie, after accepting his fate of being stuck on the same day, he decides to use the time to help people and better himself. Piano lessons, showing up with a jack to change the old lady's flat tire, catching an ungrateful kid as he falls from a tree. So today, on yet another day of being snowed in with my four boys, I'll take a page from that book. Perhaps I can find a new game to play with the kids or a new cookie recipe to bake. Either way, we've gotta change it up around here. Happy Groundhog Day everyone and let's hope that fat little rodent is right and that spring is on the way!

Comments

  1. Every year I forget about this tradition, so thanks for the reminder, Sara!
    Always good to know that spring might be early...even if it's false hope -- that hope might be enough to get us through the next few weeks LOL SO, darn tooten! That rodent better be right, this winter has gone on for too long already. Snow, PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing things up is a great idea. I'm going to shoot for that too. It seems like we have been couped up for sooo long.

    Perhaps we will try a game of indoor hide and seek. I'm thinking I can get a couple of 10 minute naps hiding in a dark close that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you Sara! We're having the worst snow storm so far today - can't wait for spring!!!

    At least we have Divas like you to give us a little sunshine and warmth.

    Cheers!
    jojo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LLLL--I'll have to try that indoor hide-n-seek idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna--I'm with you! I can't wait for spring. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts