Hello, His name is Inigo Montoya

Charli Mac

Just like the name tag says.

You know his name. You know what you did. You know what he is going to do.

His name is Inigo Montoya, you killed his father, prepare to die!

That's right you heard me. Now read aloud:

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!"

This is when great writing gives me the ultimate high. When a character is so distinct, so different, and so memorable they become ingrained into the human psyche.

He was not the main character. But what a character he was. Sigh. Inigo Montoya, his name rolls off the tongue. You can hear his voice repeating the same phrase over and over again. And boy did he make that guy bleed.

*Spoiler Alert* and boy did he die...

If you have not seen this movie, please, by all means, feel free announce that you are a clueless waste of space. Then find yourself a copy and watch. Not just to get my witty banter but to be among the masses who are repeating the same phrase as I type...

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!"
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!"
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!"

You will all hate or love me later for this. YOU will hear this phrase in the bathroom, doing the dishes, getting dressed. I am even hexing you to hear this while in the throes of passion. Then laugh and think...Damn you Charli, I need to write characters like this.
Secondary characters have their place.

The hero can't make it without him. Needs him. Depends on him. Their plots are woven together like fine silk, each needing each other to complete the story, give us that happy ending, or at least a satisfying one.

The Princess Bride could've had a different sidekick, I guess. But would it be the same story? I think not.

Who are your favorite secondary characters? Which ones do you believe are the most popular, deserving of their own tales?

I have a list. But I won't share until you do. :)

Comments

  1. Gah. I'm having one of those moments where I could list five hundred possibilities, so my brain won't allow just one to come out.

    Inigo IS the perfect secondary character, though. Add in Fezzik and they're the perfect secondary duo. Every time I hear "Anybody want a peanut?" I crack up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE The Princess Bride! So many awesome lines, so many memorable characters.

    "Inconceivable!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love writing secondary characters as much (if not more than) the main characters. And yes, Inigo is easily one of the best sidekicks EVER. The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies, possibly because every character is so perfectly cast. Some other fave secondary characters of mine - Ford Prefect in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Sam in The Lord of the Rings; and of course, Elizabeth's sister Jane in Pride and Prejudice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my fave movies evah! And i love Inigo Montoya - def. proves that secondary characters add so much richness to the story.

    Fun post! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts