Top 5 Song Mashups

By Chantel Simmons

The other day I was getting a blowdry at Blo when a song came on.

“Hey, is someone sampling an old Backstreet Boys song?” The girl blowdrying my hair asked.

It was Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life.”

Which is what one of the other stylists told her.

“Who?”

Who? For a moment I actually contemplated that perhaps I can’t get a blowdry at a place where the stylist doesn’t know who Bon Jovi is but then I realized I was just being ridiculous. They give really good blowdrys. Besides, if she thought BSB was retro, how could I expect her to know who JBJ was?

So instead, while she gave me good hair for three days to come, I thought about how lots of songs sound like other songs. Sometimes, it's not even clear which came first, but trying to figure out what song they sound like can be fun. Obviously I'm not alone, because when I got home and did a quick search, it seems that many people take pleasure in identifying songs that sound like other songs. Here’s my Top 5 mashups.

1. Ke$ha’s “Tik Tok” vs Katy Perry’s “California Gurls”



2. When Lady Gaga debuted "Born this Way" at the Grammys, Twitter was a-flitter with tweets about how the song clearly sounded like Madonna's "Express Yourself."

I like how this guy -- @OmarAfuni -- recorded his own original mashup.




3. Fefe Dobson's "Stuttering" vs Kelly Clarkson's "Behind these Hazel Eyes"



4. Oops Gaga, you did it again. Gaga's "So Happy I could die" vs Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocketful of Sunshine"



5. OK, guess what? That girl at the blowdry lounge knew a BSB song when she heard it.

Bon Jovi's "It's my life" and Backstreet Boys' "Larger Than Life"




What are your favourite songs that sound like other songs? Leave a comment & let me know!

PS You can follow me on Twitter: @chantelsimmons

Comments

  1. Born This Way also sounds to me like TLC's Waterfalls..

    The melody of the lyrics, "my moma told me when I was young we are all born superstars," sounds like:

    "then one day he takes a look in the mirror but he doesn't recognize his own face..."

    Or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On another note (pun intended!), I think all of Bon Jovi's songs all sound the same.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts