The Man of My Dreams

By Alison Bruce

Did you grow up dreaming of Prince Charming? I didn't.

My first and last celebrity crush was Gene Wilder. I still have a soft spot for the man but otherwise I've reserved all my fantasies for characters...  and they ain't Prince Charming, Bub. This isn't just a Bad Boy thing either. No comb wielding greaser or tattooed biker for me. My guy has to have the honour of a Samurai, the loyalty of a Golden Retriever, an "I am what I am" attitude and...

I'll cut to the chase. The man of my dreams is Wolverine of the X-Men. He's not perfect. I'm not crazy about the smoking, of course. (Sure, he's okay. He's got a mutant healing factor. What about the rest of us, Bub?) Commitment issues? I can relate. Memory issues? I can't remember if I decided that would bother me or not. He's surly with everyone he meets regardless of age, gender, race or religion. But he also gives his respect regardless of age, gender, race or religion. And once he gives his love, or friendship, he doesn't renege. He's my knight in shining adamantium.

For my money, Chris Claremont's Wolverine is up there with Terry Pratchett's Sam Vimes, J.R.R. Tolkein's Samwise Gamgee, and Supernatural's Dean Winchester as romantic heroes. (Which might explain why I'm still single.) However, there is one thing that does give Sam, Sam, and Dean an advantage over Wolvie.

They sing. He doesn't.

I love to sing and I'd love to have someone to sing with. Give me a singing Wolverine and I'd be in seventh heaven.

And somebody has.
 


What can I say? I'm in love.

Comments

  1. I've got my own singer at home and let me tell you, it's heavenly. Vince isn't exactly a wolf-type guy, but when he sings, "Blue Moon", I tell ya, I just swoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince reminds me of the other "man of my dreams" Freddy from Georgette Heyer's COTILLION. He is, as Kitty describes him, "the kind of man who can get you a cab in the rain and who waiters don't fob off with the worst table." All the women love to dance with him because he makes them look more graceful. All the men like him because he's such a good and trustworthy friend.

      Delete
  2. Okay, this site just gobbled my comment! I'll try again.
    Gotta admit...when the girls my age were sighing over teen idols (the Partridge Family comes to mind)...I was into the tough, older guy. Jack Lord, from Hawaii 5-0. Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch much Hawaii 5-0 back then, but I loved Night Stalker (Darren McGavin) and Rat Patrol (especially the British sergeant and the German officer). David and Shaun Cassidy left me cold. (Shaun didn't even spell his name properly!)

      Delete
  3. The good news is that Hugh Jackman sings, so maybe there's hope for Wolverine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackman has done his own improv musical for Wolverine. He strikes me a man I would enjoy meeting. Usually I have no desire to meet actors in case they ruin my image of their characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts