New Year's Resolutions

Bah! Humbug!

res·o·lu·tion
noun \?re-z?-?lü-sh?n\
: a firm decision to do or not to do something
: the outcome, answer or solution to something
: the ability of a device to show an image clearly and with a lot of detail

It's New Year's Eve and I resolve to make no resolutions. In this, I am resolute.

This doesn’t mean resolutions won’t occur. All things must resolve one way or another.

For instance, eventually my Christmas chocolate will run out. At that time (and not a moment before) I will give up chocolate until Valentine's Day. Of course, if I'm really successful, I'll make my Christmas stash last that long. That would be a happy resolution to the chocolate issue.

I am certainly not resolving to get more exercise. Every time I do, I injure myself. Better I just do more without any set plans. Likewise dieting. I love balanced, home-cooked whole foods and only resort to packaged foods when rushed or stressed. The word "diet" stresses me so best I stay away from it. Better for my cholesterol levels.

I could give up smoking, but first I'd have to start. I can't understand why anyone would start, given the information we have now... have had  since the nineteen-fifties... but I do know that nicotine is as addictive heroin. My sympathy and admiration to those who are giving up smoking. Or heroin. Or any addiction. (I don't count coffee.)

And no, I am not giving up coffee for the New Year, Lent or anything else. Yes, I drink coffee all day. Usually it's the same cup I poured first thing in the morning. Sometimes I have a second cup. Rarely a third. The only time I drink a lot of coffee is when I'm on the road. In that case, it's a safety issue. Other drivers on the road, and any one in the car, thank me for keeping my caffeine levels up on a long drive. When I start getting irritable, my children have been known to ask me to stop for coffee.

"But we're almost there," I say.

"And we want to arrive alive."




Comments

  1. Resolve to look for humour in all our days! That's my resolution. Really fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Alison! No resolutions except to maybe have more fun in 2015

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts