Memes, Nothing more than Memes


HELLO
my name is
ALISON BRUCE
(and I'm posting late this week)

A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".


The word is relatively new but the idea has been part of pop culture since before we thought of culture being pop. For example, daughter rolled her eyes when I asked her define "meme" but the first words I uttered as a baby were "What's up doc?" She just said "dada". (Now, if she had said "mama"...)

I suppose you could say, our family was meme-rich. Our daily conversation is peppered with enough pop culture references to fill a Joss Whedon script. (Or it's filled with the monosyllables of a tired mother and surly teens - which, if not a meme, is certainly a stereotype.)

I still lean towards puns as a cultural art form, so imagine my delight when I found this:



I'm outta here.

Comments

Popular Posts